Discreet bags for Rifle Cases?

Brown Dog

Been looking for something to cover a rifle case for travel so that it doesn't telegraph 'GUN' to all around.

Simplest solution would seem to be finding a ready made bag (such as a snowboard bag) that is big enough to hold a rifle hard case.

Anyone been down this route already?

If the case is something like a Pelican hardcase (that does not scream gun anyway) you can put 'fragile' stickers on it and 'handle with care surveying equipment' stickers on it. As a surveyors thedolite case is similarish in size.

Brown Dog

Best discreet case is hard plastic lockable golf bag carrier. Can put 3-4 guns in soft cases and does not look like gun case. Cost is under $100 and just as durable as most gun cases.

Check with airlines first about multiple guns in same case and will need extra insurance.

BH

Gents,

Forgive me but you need to think like a thief. The issue is not that guns get stolen but that valuables get stolen.

Golf clubs are probably more attractive to a thief as they are easier to fence. Likewise surveying equipment, skis etc.

I would stick with a cordura cover over your guncase -

Brown Dog
You hit it on the head a cover is the way to go. If you are talking about air travel? Your rifles are checked through a secutrity area. Once inspected the case is closed, this is the time to put little locks on the case even duct tape around the case and locks and put the case into a bag. If there is corruption in the airport you cant stop theft. Most theft occurs with unsecured bags having small items removed. In most cases a secure case that cant be easily opened by a thief will be passed up (locks tape outer bag) I'd worry more about a quality case first.
PS dont fly through England you have a better chance of having your guns delayed then stolen!!!

Good observation, however my issue is less the theft deterrence idea; it's one of shaping the perception of fellow travellers. I always feel ridiculously self conscious when 'out and about' carrying something that obviously contains a firearm; I'd far rather blend into the crowd.

Couldn't you just fit that varmint rig into a guitar case like Elliot Ness always did?
grin.gif

VH

Or a bass fiddle case. Just kidding of course. Since I live in a so-so urban neighborhood I've had similar problem. Don't want certain neighbors to know I have guns in my place. I'm thinking of making a carry case from pvc pipe if size will permit, with pvc caps on ends, primed/painted, the name of a fictional photography co. or something and maybe logo, with a handle. Pvc is fairly cheap. Maybe not suited diameter-wise for scoped rifles unless scope can be removed easily. Good luck.

[ 07-04-2004: Message edited by: dogear ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.