Disappointed

dancoman

First outing with new300rum sendero was not what I was looking for. 5/8'' groups at 50 yards. Was looking for a little more I reckon. This was with Fac. 180 sciroccos.
My 7mmrum sendero mush have spoilled me a little, cloverleafed out of the box with fac. corelokts. Now shoots one ragged hole at 100 with handloaded 150 sciroccos over 94.5 RL25.

I have not shot a lot at 500 yards and just out of curiousity, what will a 5/8 group at 50 do at 500. this 300rum's main use will be for elk. How sufficent will this round be.
Thanks,DM

If I had to guess, probly 6-8 inch group, but theres really no way of telling. 5/8" at 50 aint to bad w/factory, but what are you doing shooting a RUM at 50 yards!? Looks like you'll have to reload for the 300 RUM. Oh well, load up some 200g AB's with either H1000, RL 25, or Retumbo at 3150-3200fps and have at it!!

5/8" @ 50 yds translates to (500/50)*(5/8) = 50/8" or just about 6" @ 500 yds.

Shoot her at 100 @ least to get a better feel. 50yds doesn't give much time for bullet to become stable.

Had not sighted rifle in yet and juststarted at 50 yrds to start. Didn't have time to shoot at 100 and 200, but will soon. Won't pull the panic button yet, but all the results here with the 200AB are very tempting.

I have never liked shooting a scoped medium or long range rifle at 50 yds. The groups tell you little and the point of impact tells you even less. I have seen guns that will shoot nearly identical point of impact at 100 yds as 50 and seen others that will shoot 4-6" high at 100 if zeroed at 50.
I always pull the bolt out and bore sight at 100 yds. I have rarely failed to be on a 12" square at 100 yds after doing this. The commercial bore sighters can't even come close many times.
Not a rant, just some thoughts.
Good luck with your new toy!

Sam

99 gr retumbo 168 bergers vlds and start at 500yrds for a group, 50 yrds is sling shot range and bullets are not stable, what will your 7mm rum group at 500+ ??? thanks

roy, have only shot 7mmrum at 500 yrds once. My 3 shot group were around 8-9'' if I remember correctlly

Got to shoot 300rum again today at 100 yrds. First two shots were about 2'' apart and the next three shots were about .75 down from first and 1'' left , but all three were touching. Tried to let barrel cool but at 85% didn't cool a whole lot. Do some guns group better with warm barrels. I prefer to get my cold shots tighter. This gun has only had about 20 rounds fired thru her and seens to be getting better with evrty outing. Only have about 60 days before leaving for Co. elk hunt. Do I keep going like I am or hit the bench. Normally my groups shrink as the temp drops. I guess I hoping that this will happen. I believe it will come in to < 1'' , which is ok, but not quiet what I'm used to. Any advise on this, barrel temp amd outside temp.

What scope do you have? Most big game scopes are going to have a lot of parallax at 50 yds...you might actually shoot smaller groups at 100-200 if this is the case.

dan you probably seen this
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...true#Post113088

but the other day (8-4-06)I shot another 5 shot group at 670 yrds it was 3 3/4" I now have 324 through gun (i am keeping track of them) it was 92 degrees here
I swear with the bergers altho I am not to sure yet what they will do to an elk,will find out this year tho,
have read a bunch of different opinions I know coyotes (6 so far with 300rum)and rock chucks hate them.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts