Christensen arms mesa fft disappointment 😔

Darktimber

So I picked up a Christensen arms mesa fft in 6.5 prc as a Christmas present to myself. I was looking for a very light handy rifle for deer and bear.

Prior to ordering, I had done quite a bit of research but didn't find anything super concerning except being overweight, which was a big deal to me. Listed weight is 5.5 lbs. in short action. I called the vendor to confirm this. They said yes that is correct.

Brought the gun home and put it straight on the scale and it's 5lbs. 15oz 🤬 what the heck Christensen? How is that possible to be 7oz over advertised weight? Not happy

*** edited to change weight. Rifle was 7oz heavier than advertised ***

Last edited:
So I picked up a Christensen arms mesa fft in 6.5 prc as a Christmas present to myself. I was looking for a very light handy rifle for deer and bear.

Prior to ordering, I had done quite a bit of research but didn't find anything super concerning except being overweight, which was a big deal to me. Listed weight is 5.5 lbs. in short action. I called the vendor to confirm this. They said yes that is correct.

Brought the gun home and put it straight on the scale and it's 6 lbs. 15oz 🤬 what the heck Christensen? How is that possible to be 7oz over advertised weight? Not happy
Do you mean 5lb 15oz. My mesa Fft in 6.5 cm came in a few oz over but it was around 5lbs 10 oz I believe.

That being said I picked one up at the gun store the other day in 6.5 prc and to me it seems the barrel was a bit thicker or maybe longer by a few inches. It definitely didnt have the ultra light feel imo. I do like my fft but I find I never reach for it to take hunting.

Do you mean 5lb 15oz. My mesa Fft in 6.5 cm came in a few oz over but it was around 5lbs 10 oz I believe.

That being said I picked one up at the gun store the other day in 6.5 prc and to me it seems the barrel was a bit thicker or maybe longer by a few inches. It definitely didnt have the ultra light feel imo. I do like my fft but I find I never reach for it to take hunting.
20" barrel should be the exact same rifle in every way as your 6.5 cm but actually a bit lighter due to the reamer taking more material out of the breech end of the barrel for the fatter cartridge and less material on the bolt face to my way of thinking. I would have been fine with 5lbs 10oz but nearly 1/2 lb. Over is bad, I might even go so far as to say misleading/false advertising

Surprise weight comes from two areas, stock and barrel.

In the stock it comes from fill being heavier than expected. The outfit in Utah that is likely doing the forged carbon stocks and parts also does bike rims. The big kerfuffle in the weight weine bike world is how much lot to lot variation there is in the finished product. While the carbon forging process is very automated and should be consistent, the scale doesn't lie. I'd check to stock and see I'd it's within the weight they claimed it would be.

Barrel can add a bit due to bore variations, light weights are usually listed as largest bore available.

* edit from changes in op

Last edited:
Loose a pound exercising that should take care of it :)
yes I know, that old trope lol
that is one way to do it. I'm in good shape, I wanted a complimentarily trim rifle.

It just rubs me the wrong way that they market these rifles specifically to shooters seeking lightweight rifles and then they are heavier than expected when you get them

Plus now there is reference material out there for someone doing pre purchase research. I couldn't find anyone that weighed this specific rifle in this chambering. If I had this info prior to my purchase I likely would have gone a different route

A pound is a large weight difference when comparing light or ultra-light rifles. The 23oz difference that you have is TOTALLY unacceptable. Basically, you did not get what you paid for. I'd be all over the company to make this right. Let them weigh one from the warehouse and swap your rifle out.

A pound is a large weight difference when comparing light or ultra-light rifles. The 23oz difference that you have is TOTALLY unacceptable. Basically, you did not get what you paid for. I'd be all over the company to make this right. Let them weigh one from the warehouse and swap your rifle out.
That was a typo. 7 oz over weight, not 23

How many ounces can you save if you don't put lens caps, a sling, and only load it with one round (a light bullet weight round- save as many grains as possible)?

How many ounces can you save if you don't put lens caps, a sling, and only load it with one round (a light bullet weight round- save as many grains as possible)?
Depends on the sling and caps I suppose. I'm not planning to put lens caps or a sling on this rifle. Either carried in hand or on the pack. So zero ounces there. As far as cartridges that's kind of a moot point since the rifle is just a fancy stick without them but maybe 1 or 2 ounces if I only had one in the chamber