I personally believe you'd be better going with the Xbolt Hell's Canyon until you have the time and budget for what you want.

The Browning is a fairly light rig that plain shoots! My dad has one and I'm pretty impressed with it.

If I were installing a barrel myself, I too would go the remage route, but since a smith will be working in this, I really don't know why you wouldn't have him just use a non prefit barrel.

I was in your shoes myself. I've made decisions based on finances (still do) that cost me more down the road because I was trying to save a few dollars. I would suggest saving more money and doing it the right way and exactly how you want it vs just doing what your current budget will allow just to get it done. Your 308 will work fine as an elk cartridge. Just pick the right bullet and you'll be good to go.

BTW, barrel and bolt fluting is cosmetic and doesn't shave much weight. Not worth the money to shave a few ounces if you're on a tight budget. It does look amazing though!

I personally believe you'd be better going with the Xbolt Hell's Canyon until you have the time and budget for what you want.

The Browning is a fairly light rig that plain shoots! My dad has one and I'm pretty impressed with it.

If I were installing a barrel myself, I too would go the remage route, but since a smith will be working in this, I really don't know why you wouldn't have him just use a non prefit barrel.

I was in your shoes myself. I've made decisions based on finances (still do) that cost me more down the road because I was trying to save a few dollars. I would suggest saving more money and doing it the right way and exactly how you want it vs just doing what your current budget will allow. Your 308 will work fine as an elk cartridge. Just pick the right bullet and you'll be good to go.
my uncle had a x-bolt hells canyon and i shot it and didn't like the stock or trigger yes it is light but i like the wider front stock and i have more money than what i know what to do with and if i wanted to i could do a 1500$ budget if i wanted. but the way i have priced out is that this will be the way i want the gun to look and shoot i already have the stock sitting in the closet

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.