Savage Accuracy, disappointed, free floated barrel

kudu

I'm new to long range shooting but I am in the process of getting hooked. After lurking here for a while and reading the great things about Savage rifles I figured I would do what was suggested- buy a savage and then if it doesn't shoot replace the barrel and then I should have a long range gun. (beginning to think I should have forked out the big bucks and done it right the first time but I didn't want to wait 4-6 months or spend 4k for a new gun). Anyway I purchased a Savage LRH 7mm RM, it has the Accustock. I was hoping for MOA or better. Placed a Leupold VX III 4-14 on it. Broke in the barrel cleaning after every shot for 10 shots, then after every 3rd shot for 30 shots. I've shot groups with 168 bergers, 180 bergers, 2 different factory loads- the best three shot group I can manage is 1 7/8". Last evening after a frustrating day at the range I noticed that the barrel is not free floating. It is snugged up tight at the foreend on the left side of the barrel.
My first impression is to take the dremmel tool to it and fix it but I figured I'd ask your opinions before I did anything too rash.

It may be a good idea to just take the action out of the stock and re-install.
That can make a big difference if it was done improperly at the factory for some reason.

You may want to try a different bullet as well, I can barely get 3 MOA with bergers in my savage, but get 1/2 MOA with accubonds. But... bergers shoot just fine in another one of my savages.

Here is some info on how to properly put the action in an accustock.

I did the reinstall of the action thing already using the torque specifications that came with the gun

Try to maintain the barrel clearance as you tighten the action screws. Sometimes they just try to gravitate naturally to one side of the other.

Try for groups with a dirty barrel. My old 300win factory barrel needed about 15 shots before the groups would tighten up.

I would say that if it continues to touch the forearm, go ahead and remove some material until you can push a credit card under the barrel or three thicknesses of printer paper. You may want to use sand paper as that will give you better control of removing material (unless you have good control using a dremel). I usually find a socket that closely matches the channel size and the paper gives me the right amount of diameter. Just make sure you don't take any off the side that is already clearing. If you need any extra help, I found that Kevin Rayhill is a good source of information from Stockadestocks.com.

Tank

X2 for Kevin Rayhill.

Getting the action "glass bedded or other material" is always a good idea and may solve your problem. Talk to Kevin he will probably bed it for you in short order. Time will depend on his work load.

joseph

Last edited:
I would go with what some others said. But try with a dirty barrel. I have a 30-06 that shoot 3 moa on a clean barrel. Then after fouling it right it stops stringing between 4-6 shots and then shoots under half moa all day long. Other than that play with your ammo or see if you could get it bedded right if its a stock issue.

The Bergers could be part of the issue. Some of the above suggestions are good esp about taking the stock out and then putting back together.

FWIW I have never had any luck with the Bergers and shoot Green Box in my sporters and competition rifles.

If its going to make you feel better, I just bought Savage 12 LRP, so far I tried different loads using like 5 different powders and 3 different types of bullets and it averages 1 - 1.5 MOA, the huge difference between your rifle, this one has aluminum bedding block from HS precision and it has target action, the barrel here is free-floated...Right now I'm trying to pinpoint accuracy issue, so I will glass bed its action first, there is also barrel with heavy copper buildup usually it takes more then an hour soaking in KG-12 with combination of nylon proof-positive brush to get rid of copper. There is also short freebore space in the chamber which restrict seating bullets farther out, other then that it shoots about 3.75 - 4 1/2" groups @300 yards. So by elimination process I will get to the issue it just takes time. Also prior to this Savage I had some experience with 11 BTH model in 308, it shot 1.5 - 1.75" @100 my gunsmith did glass bedding and recessed crown on it, which didn't help anything, so I trade it for TC ICON PH in the same caliber, it was amazing rifle until its barrel developed pitting, but I had 0.26" 5 shot groups @ 100 and 2.8" @ 600

Last edited:
you haven't tried enough

loads. Bullet seating depth has been real important in my savages. Try Barnes TTSX
.005 off and see how it shoots

Here what Savage has to say about accuracy, its from Customer Service page on Savage website: What is the expected accuracy of my centerfire model? The accuracy of a firearm depends on the shooter, the ammunition being used, the conditions, and the condition of the gun. We do have factory specifications for accuracy on all of our firearms. For the centerfire models they are: Sporter barrel models (Hunter, Weather-Warrior, Classic, Stevens Series): 1 1/2" or better at 100 yds Varmint barrel models (Varmint, Law Enforcement Series): 1" or better at 100 yds Savage Axis (Formerly the Edge): 2" or better - 3 shot group

I broke out the dremmel tool and removed the portion that was in contact. I now have a free floating barrel. I went to the range with 180 berger's the results were better. Not a panacea but a noticable improvement. 4- 3 shot groups 3 came in at 1.38" and the 4th came in at .75" @ 100 yds. Not great but BETTER. I feel I can at least play with powders, bullets and seating distance at this point.
I have heard mixed opinions on bedding the Accustock. It has the aluminum action bed already- does it benefit from a formal glass bedding?

Skin bed it, any aluminum block bedding system usually requires some sort of skin bedding, to equally disperse pressure, but I never had accustock so I can't say no more, but I did bed Remington SPS stock and it worked great with Varmint barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.