Dirty ar15 brass, too dirty?

6pakzak

Shot this a few minutes ago, I'm at 24.5 varget with 69gr bullet, tried leaving shoulder longer, crimping, not crimping, last 2 are factory bullets so same thing, any ideas why they are so filthy.

Attachments

• 16415824533713488699403466072784.jpg
    16415824533713488699403466072784.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 304
I believe I looked it up on my reloading app, just went 25gr and look a little better, honestly haven't shot it much since I got it, brass been flying toward my right shoulder, well bouncing off wall and hitting shoulder

It's a 68 grain Hornady match bthp, I get conflicting data, some say 24.9 is Max with varget, others say 26 compressed, I'm going with 2.260 seating although I tried 2.250 to make more pressure and it shot better but still dirty

The rifle is a Savage patrol and has a mid length gas system which in reviews this is so it's not over gassed so they say

Hornady #11 says 25.1 max in 5.56. Sierra says 26.1 with 69 gr SMK. Work up. Maybe try something besides Varget and see if its cleaner

I just switched to varget, the fouling seems to stop about 3/16 up from base, the 25gr load was much better but wouldn't think I gotta run max load

Some powders perform best and cleanest near max. Pressure makes them burn clean and efficient. IMR-4451 was that way in my 7AI, just before pressure signs it gave me single digit numbers and tight groups. Id try a ball powder or other double base powder and see if its cleaner

Just thought of something, being that I live in the communist state of New York with Kathy hochul as the fuhrer I had to change out the stock, was done at my local gun dealer, I had traded in a Ruger piston driven ar which had the thordsen stock on it and that stock was put on savage to comply with the third reichs rules. So would you think maybe the spring is stronger since it was in a piston gun and would it cause this?

Seems to me over gassed. Does the fired brass end up at the 5 o'clock position? Has it been a recent problem?
Didn't realize how clock set on gun, was looking up different malfunctions and came across it and you might be right, now that I understand it the cases are going more back toward the 5 o'clock position cause a lot of them were landing on my shoulder after hitting wall so they were definitely going toward the back.