Dillon XL750 primer system

GDKinCO

I bought 2 Dillon XL750s a while back and am just still getting started with the Blue process ... first time on a progressive, but have a number of years of general experience with my Lee Challenger and RCBS Rock Chucker single stage presses with pistol and rifle reloading.

However, not only first time on a progressive, also first time with crimped primers. I have a Dillon Super Swage 600 to swage the primer pockets, and checking them with a go no-go gauge tells me their swaging properly (my assumption, as the go gauge fits fully into the primer pocket with a little tension, and the no-go gauge does not go in at all).

I have a significant batch (for me, at least) of about 5,000 5.56 once-fired military brass (~ 90% crimped primer) and 5,000 9mm once-fired military (~75% crimped primer, maybe?).

The 5.56 seems to seat the primer with somewhat of a "crunch" feeling 50-75% of the time, and the 9mm maybe 20% of the time. Attached photo showing the results of mangled or too high seating on 2 or 3 out of each 100.

Second issue or observation is that I was getting a fair number of no primer feed, to the point that I was watching the primer arm coming back empty and going forward with a correctly oriented primer. A few were tipped, some were not feeding at all. This really slows down the production, and makes a nice mess of spilled powder cleanup, with then further exacerbates the primer pickup, I think.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, other favorite discussion forums for Dillon gear specifically?

Thanks!
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 75
Call Dillon. They have great tech support and can offer solutions.

That said, it sounds like you need to swage the pockets a little more.

--md