Questions about Dillon?

ducky

So I'm interested in speeding up my reloading process on some cartridges. I'm looking at the XL750 or 550c machines. My main question is on caliber conversions, and is there a cheaper way to do them?

The reason for that question is I shoot a couple 6mm wildcats. 6X45 and 6X47 Rem. I would think I'd just need the .223 conversion kit and change out the powder funnel. Is my assumption correct, or would the .223 funnel work with those cases?

If it's just a powder funnel change, then to reload .223, 6X45, 6X47, and .300 BLK. Then all I'd need is a tool head set up for each cartridge with the powder charge station with the appropriate powder funnel? I understand I may want to buy a caliber conversion kit for .300 BLK if I add the case feeder later on as they have the parts for that in them.

Others might disagree, but I'm not a fan of sinking money into my 650 unless it's a caliber I shoot…a lot. So, I have conversion kits for most of my autoloaders. On a bottle neck cartridge like 5.56, I'll have an extra die block just to resize the brass. I buy all of the caliber conversion stuff from Dillion as I know it will always work. I never tried other stuff on my Dillion as I just didn't want headaches.

All of my mag calibers are done via single stage loading. Since I'm not loading 1000's of rounds at a time, it doesn't really save me that much time. Most of the time reloading is the brass prep. Loading 25-50 rounds single stage doesn't take long at all once the brass is prepped. Plus there's the time to actually switch over calibers on a Dillion. It's not hard, but it does take time.

I'm only looking to reload the four rifle cartridges listed on a progressive other than a few pistol cartridges. There is no caliber conversion for 6X45 or 6X47 Rem (6mm TCU is closest and only listed for the 550), and there if I go with a 550c the case feed isn't much of an option. The 6mm cals are my varmint rifles and I shoot them far more than any other rifles except my .223. The .300 BLK is the cartridge I shoot the least out of the four mentioned.

I mentioned those 4 specifically because they all use the same shell plate. So why would I pay for four of the same shell plate, when a caliber conversion is basically a powder funnel and a shell plate? I understand if you're using a case feeder with the XL 750, but then I think one kit for .223 Rem and .300 BLK would have me covered for those four cartridges.

That would leave me just needing to change out the tool head and powder funnel when I change cartridges is what I'm thinking. Assuming I can buy the 6mm TCU powder funnel separately which I would think will work with the 6X45 and 6X47 both. Then I'd just need the appropriate amout of tool head and die sets for my cartridges all using the same case head.

I'm only looking to reload the four rifle cartridges listed on a progressive other than a few pistol cartridges. There is no caliber conversion for 6X45 or 6X47 Rem (6mm TCU is closest and only listed for the 550), and there if I go with a 550c the case feed isn't much of an option. The 6mm cals are my varmint rifles and I shoot them far more than any other rifles except my .223. The .300 BLK is the cartridge I shoot the least out of the four mentioned.

I mentioned those 4 specifically because they all use the same shell plate. So why would I pay for four of the same shell plate, when a caliber conversion is basically a powder funnel and a shell plate? I understand if you're using a case feeder with the XL 750, but then I think one kit for .223 Rem and .300 BLK would have me covered for those four cartridges.

That would leave me just needing to change out the tool head and powder funnel when I change cartridges is what I'm thinking. Assuming I can buy the 6mm TCU powder funnel separately which I would think will work with the 6X45 and 6X47 both. Then I'd just need the appropriate amout of tool head and die sets for my cartridges all using the same case head.
I have a funnel chart for Dillon. I'll check it and you might not need as many powder funnels (not dies)? I hav 2 550's 1 set for large and small primers.

I have my tool heads fully setup with their own powder dispenser for each caliber. This makes the change from caliber to caliber way easier and the powder settings always stay the same.

As far as the shell holder goes, as long they're all from the same parent case they should work for the different calibers you listed.

I also use Dillion dies. I tried using Redding dies on one of my pistol calibers and they didn't work as well as the Dillion dies on that press.

I do have the electric case feeder on my 650 and it works great. I bought all of the different plates for it so I could grow into calibers for the future.

So I'm interested in speeding up my reloading process on some cartridges. I'm looking at the XL750 or 550c machines. My main question is on caliber conversions, and is there a cheaper way to do them?

The reason for that question is I shoot a couple 6mm wildcats. 6X45 and 6X47 Rem. I would think I'd just need the .223 conversion kit and change out the powder funnel. Is my assumption correct, or would the .223 funnel work with those cases?

If it's just a powder funnel change, then to reload .223, 6X45, 6X47, and .300 BLK. Then all I'd need is a tool head set up for each cartridge with the powder charge station with the appropriate powder funnel? I understand I may want to buy a caliber conversion kit for .300 BLK if I add the case feeder later on as they have the parts for that in them.
I'll try and make it as easy as possible.
223/5.56/6x45/300bo all use the same plate and buttons and powder die. You will need a different powder funnel per caliber.
I haven't found a definitive answer about the 6x's on NOT using the same powder funnel, but based off 1 being 45 and other being 47, it should use the same powder funnel.

Powder funnels are by calibre. Same .22 funnel for 22 Hornet to 22-250. If you are going to setup your heads to they have a preset powder thrower in each, which is how I do it, you will need more than one funnel of the same calibre.

Powder funnels are by calibre. Same .22 funnel for 22 Hornet to 22-250. If you are going to setup your heads to they have a preset powder thrower in each, which is how I do it, you will need more than one funnel of the same calibre.
NOPE, but partially true! Although the 264 and 260 use the same funnel, they're closer in length. As far as the 22cal goes it appears to use the same funnel (#13426). Exceptions are 220swift/225Win (#10831), 223wsm (#18417) and 22TCM (#62216). No info on the 22creed, but case is close to 22-250AI in length and shoulder dimension. The funnel only contacts with the neck that make compatibility easier.

264wm #12870
260rem #12870
6.5gren #18947

These are from 6.5gren and 260rem

Attachments

• 20240102_132351.jpg
    20240102_132351.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I have my tool heads fully setup with their own powder dispenser for each caliber. This makes the change from caliber to caliber way easier and the powder settings always stay the same.

As far as the shell holder goes, as long they're all from the same parent case they should work for the different calibers you listed.

I also use Dillion dies. I tried using Redding dies on one of my pistol calibers and they didn't work as well as the Dillion dies on that press.

I do have the electric case feeder on my 650 and it works great. I bought all of the different plates for it so I could grow into calibers for the future.
This ^^^^^^^!

NOPE, but partially true! My 264wm uses a different funnel than my 260rem and different for the 6.5gren, so no, it's not just caliber based.
Yes, Body diameter of the case can have an impact too as the wide cases like WSSM need a different powder thrower and funnel. In general however, for the cases being discussed, my comment is accurate.

Yes, Body diameter of the case can have an impact too as the wide cases like WSSM need a different powder thrower and funnel. In general however, for the cases being discussed, my comment is accurate.
In OP's then yes only per caliber.