rcbs vs dillon

jls1997

I'm new to this forum and looking for opinions and I'm sure EVERYONE on here has had this question before so I'm sure I will get some great advise and some one sided bias.

I am a novice reloader but an avid shooter. My shooting habit has become expensive with factory ammo and am getting ready to move from a rock chucker press to a progressive. I use my rock chucker for my 338 win mag and 243 Winchester. My wife has taken an interest in shooting pistols and I too love shooting pistols (380, 9mm, 40 s&w and 45acp). I also have an M4 that shoots 223 rem. I have been diligent in saving brass and have many empties for all of my calibers (9 in total).

I have been doing research and have narrowed my search down to a RCBS pro 2000 and a Dillon 550.

I like the RCBS for the look, primer system and cheaper caliber changes,. I also like the fact that you can change from a manual index to an auto index for roughly $80.

I like the Dillon 550 for the associated reputation, warranty and common use by most reloader's who use progressive presses. The downfall I see to this press is you are stuck with manual index and the primer tube which in rare cases has proven dangerous.

Since the price difference is negligable between these models (at least to me) I am looking for opinions from people who may have experience with both models. Also the pros and cons to both.

Since I am buying new the "no BS" warranty will apply to both. I plan to only buy one press for the rest of my life.

The main problem I see in this is there is the crowd who bought their Dillon and never looked back and or have never used the RCBS. The RCBS has not been around as long as the Dillon but I have seen very good reviews for it. Unfortunately I don't have access to people who have both and give them a run through the paces and come to my own opinion.

I'm sure this is like the debate between Chevy and Ford but would appriciate some insight. Thanks for all of your help and I hope you have a great Labor Day weekend!

Forget the Pro 2000. Rockchucker and / or Dillon 550. For pistol...cant see how you can beat the 500 at all. The larger rifle cartridges..Im a firm believer in the Rockchucker

had, read HAD, the rcbs, now use dillon 550 (have 2)
for pistol/revolver/rifle up to .223
have have loaded usedd an older 550 for many years with only one problem, lost tip for small primer tube, called dillon and the NEXT DAY had a replacement and a "parts kit" which i've not had need to open after many years of use. I could use(and have) the 550's for larger rifle, but prefer to use 'chucker, as the larger cal's are not loaded in such large batches.

I think the Dillon is better. But on the otherhand if your loading a couple hundred 40 caliber rounds at a time, then a good turret press will do all your needs.
gary

Rock chucker is great, primer system on the press is not as cracked up as they say, hand primer is great. Dillon 550 not bad, but the 650 is the way to go. If you aren't doing much loading, then I say a turret press would be good. Redding makes a nice one. If priming is the issue, then go with a progressive press like the 650.

I like the Dillon and use one currently. I don't use it to load primers though, I load them with the RCBS primer hand tool. I just load rifle.

You cannot go wrong with the Dillons, and I've been using them for nearly 30 years now. Used several incarnations of the RCBS, but they are at their best with single stage presses; Dillon owns the progressive market, and with good reason.

I do some of my precision reloading on a 550 as well, since I have to load in large quantity for Match ammunition. I use a somewhat different method (three phase, using two different tool heads), but it works well, and turns out ammo that I have no hesititation using at the Nationals (Camp Perry).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.