Ohaus vs. RCBS

10-10s are still made by Ohaus, they are just now made in Mexico. I know--I just bought one several months ago, called Scott Parker to have it tuned, and after talking to him, took it back. His expericnce with the Mexican made models is that some are good, some OK and some terrible. In other words, a consistently high level of workmanship does not seem to be being maintained with the Mexican made models.

Scott Parker, the well known scale master, who sells very finely tuned scales or tunes yours if it's a model he will tune, will not even try to calibrate the new 10-10s. The scale that Scott sent me is a 1960's Redding Model #2. This scale and a similar era Lyman (I think it was) are the two models he prefers the most. The scale I have from him has two weights (not using the right term here...) and not three, like many scales now have. 3 moving weights is much more difficult to tune than 2 weights so he prefers the 2 moving weight versions. This old Redding Model 2 I now have is incredibly sensitive.

Another tip I learned from him that I should've already known and feel stupid for not fully thinking it through, is that if you are trickling powder into you scale and go over the desired charge weight at all, dump the entire pan out and start over for the best consistency. There's some good mechanical reasons for doing this if you are concerned about that level of powder charge accuracy.

I have wondered about that. It does not happen often but I usually shake a little out of the pan then trickle it back up. I wonder what the mechanical reasons are? Interesting!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.