DILLON 550 AND PRECISION SHORT RANGE AMMO

Interesting idea. Do you only have 1 round on the shell plate at a time then so the other rounds dont get in the way of the tool head to truly floating?
No just run already trimmed and prepped brass through as a regular progressive operation. Even with the pins in and quality dies it's very difficult to prove one way or the other is better as shooting groups at 300 yards so many other variables come into play . Like wind ,,mirage ,etc. .

The biggest problem with Dillons for accuracy work is the powder measure and throwing quality match accuracy loads. Tubbs and boys do not mention that they used a $2500 Prometheus system for throwing powder charges and they dumped them into the case and did not use the Dillon system for that.

the current prometheus is only $5100.
THE DILLON WILL THROW ACCURATE CHARGES if you take the time to pick a powder that meters well.
so the biggest problem is trying to convince people to try a different powder.
remember this is SHORT RANGE ACCURATE AMMO

they use the prome because it is a powder dispenser that cares not what powder is in it.
AND SHOOT OUT TO 1000 YDS

The biggest problem with Dillons for accuracy work is the powder measure and throwing quality match accuracy loads. Tubbs and boys do not mention that they used a $2500 Prometheus system for throwing powder charges and they dumped them into the case and did not use the Dillon system for that.

THE DILLON WILL THROW ACCURATE CHARGES if you take the time to pick a powder that meters well. so the biggest problem is trying to convince people to try a different powder. remember this is SHORT RANGE ACCURATE AMMO

Using ball, spherical, flake and ssc type powders and inserting a BR type baffle into the hopper helps to keep the charges more uniform.

I do realize that Tubbs uses a Prometheus now a days. But the video I mentioned was older and before it existed. He was metering charges with a normal powder measure.

He also went onto say that people fixate over the exact same powder weight every round. While it is important, he stated that as long as you're loading in the accuracy node, it's not as important as many other variables... like uniform primer pockets and primer pocket holes and concentricity, etc.

I'm just paraphrasing what he said. It's not necessarily my opinion too on all things. And obviously he uses a Prometheus now, so it does matter to him to a point.

I do realize that Tubbs uses a Prometheus now a days. But the video I mentioned was older and before it existed. He was metering charges with a normal powder measure.

He also went onto say that people fixate over the exact same powder weight every round. While it is important, he stated that as long as you're loading in the accuracy node, it's not as important as many other variables... like uniform primer pockets and primer pocket holes and concentricity, etc.

I'm just paraphrasing what he said. It's not necessarily my opinion too on all things. And obviously he uses a Prometheus now, so it does matter to him to a point.

I've shot with exceptional shooter's like Tubbs before and he is an exceptional talent in the sport . When they start throwing money at something it may be an attempt to keep the winning going. Face it we all start to age out of our sport s ,me included, just a fact of life. It's just not that important ,what you do for the good of humanity is the real challenge . Just my thoughts and opinions on the subject. And yes powder charge weight must be less important than other aspects as I don't know many benchrest shooters that dont weigh charges,just throw them with a high quality measure.

you have to put it all in perspective.
he shoots at a 2 moa 10 ring and 1 moa x in most of his rifle shooting. not near what i do in PRECISION long range shooting.
i have shot with him, i am mediocre in prone, he is excellent.

I've shot with exceptional shooter's like Tubbs before and he is an exceptional talent in the sport . When they start throwing money at something it may be an attempt to keep the winning going. Face it we all start to age out of our sport s ,me included, just a fact of life. It's just not that important ,what you do for the good of humanity is the real challenge . Just my thoughts and opinions on the subject. And yes powder charge weight must be less important than other aspects as I don't know many benchrest shooters that dont weigh charges,just throw them with a high quality measure.

Not any more, almost all weight now and mandatory in 600 and 1000 game. SR guys are taking scales to the matches and weighing there. Even they learned.

and i know 1000 YD shooters that load at the match...OMG
what is the world coming to...tunning at the match !

Not any more, almost all weight now and mandatory in 600 and 1000 game. SR guys are taking scales to the matches and weighing there. Even they learned.

I have a problem with my 650 throwing powder out of the cases when it advances them. Have never really figured out how to get it to advance more smoothly. Other than that, the powder measure seems to perform decently, even when using stick powder. As mentioned, I either do case prep off the press or set up two tool heads to do case prep and loading in separate runs.