Digital scale variations?

Vamike9

I have an RCBS digital mini scale that came with my kit and I use it for reloading precision 223 ammo. I am still new to reloading but seem to be getting variations on my digital scale of more than .5 of a grain at times. Also my zero seems to vary as well, sometimes showing .3+ when I have my pan zero set. How many grains does it take before I see a noticeable difference in accuracy? I'm nowhere near max loads so I know I'm safe, however I want to make the most consistent ammunition possible. What are good inexpensive digital scales that I can rely on? Also are there any good techniques in using these scales?

If the scale has a AC power adapter, use it and turn the scale on for about an hour before using it. This allows it to warm up and it won't drift as much. Also keep away for electrical noise like fluorescent lights and cell phones. Keep it away from air currents, even the air from a furnace vent can affect it. Keep the room temp stable and over 65 degrees.

A lot of reloaders use the Gempro 250. For an inexpensive digital scale. It measures down to .002, which is about the weight of a single kernel of extruded powder.

I use a RCBS Load Master 1500 digital scale with integrated auto-despenser and have notice around one tenth grain variations when loading, even though I calibrate the scale every time I start it up. On critical loads such as OCW or Ladder test loads, I weigh every charge a second time with my RCBS 5/10 balance beam scale and trickle it in to the precise charge weight I'm loading for, then recheck it on the digital scale. I've found the digital scale to often be a tenth grain out but, seldom more than that. The only time I've noticed a greater than one tenth load variation on the digital scale is when a powder granule, or a few granules of powder spill into the scale pan when the scale is reseting to zero after I've emptied it and before I start the next dispensing. When that occurs, the charge weight will be off considerably, even if you empty the spilled granules and hit the "zero" button. The only way I've found to correct this is to "zero" the scale without the pan in place and then "zero" again after replacing the empty pan.

I have that little scale you're talking about. Mine seems pretty consistent, but honestly I don't trust it. I use a 5-0-5 beam scale and it serves me well. I use the RCBS scale to weigh cases and bullets and that's it... If I was going to use a digital, I would step up in price...

I had an electronic scale to weigh brass or bullets and such until it went tits up for no apparent reason, but honestly I wouldn't trust one to weigh powder charges. I have used a balance beam scale for many years. The first one was an RCBS 505, and it was very accurate but the fulcrum started getting sticky so I invested in an RCBS 10/10 scale after I tried to use some other reloading manufacturers scale and it wouldn't weigh a fixed weight the same even two times so I took it back for refund. The RCBS balance beam scales are made by Ohaus and they are the only scale I will trust.

Last month I got a set of check weights and checked my RCBS 505 balance beam and cheap digital, $50ish Lyman scale. Both were on, one time balance was off.

I don't know why it would matter, but I do leave it plugged in, but not on.

I used to only use digital when getting my pourer close, balance beams take forever for that.

Just talked to an RCBS tech about the issue with my scale. It appears that it's static electricity. I am going to try a dryer sheet and see if I can get more reliable results. Thanks everyone for your advice it has been extremely helpful.

I also use the Chargemaster. I got it more for the chargemaster part than the scale part. I use to check the electronic scale with the balance beam and found that manually trickling powder with the balance beam would give more consistent weights. On paper, I couldn't see a difference. I do find that warming up the machine for at least a half hour, hour is better, takes out the drifting and hits the target weights much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.