Difficulty Retracting Bolt

.308ltr

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Remy 700 in .300 Win Mag (used). Inspected it, Cleaned it thoroughly, mounted a scope and hit the range with factory ammo. After firing, the bolt will lift normally (easily) but the bolt won't retract. I have to beat on the bolt handle with the palm of my hand to extract the fired case. I did not see any obvious marks on the brass however the primer appeared very slightly flattened. I checked the bolt and could not find any marks. Rifle shot under an inch with the factory ammo so i am pleased about that but the stuck bolt really bothers me. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

A friend had the same situation a couple of weekd ago at the range with his Browning A-bolt. I did not get a chance to look at it with him. So, I'm curious what you find.

random thoughts ...
- dirty chamber (his, not yours)
- scratch or not quite enough polish inside the chamber
- bolt geometry/timing (how well does it work on unfired ammo?)
- incorrect headspace (not likely)
- extractor not sliding over the rim completely (not likely)

Let us know what you find...

thanks,
richard

Thanks for the responses. The rifle was cleaned prior to use. The unfired factory ammo cycled without a hitch....... I thought about head space problems so a smith is looking into it for me......ie cleaning, gauging and bore scoping. Will post a response when i find out more but in the meantime any other suggestion and or comments would be helpful.

.308ltr;472012 After firing said:
If your smith comes back with everything is OK, you may want to question the factory ammo, which would be a long shot, I know. A slightly flattened primer could indicate the beginning of pressure problems. If your smith says you're good to go, you can either try the rest of the ammo you originally bought, try a different box, or maybe even both. If I had a rifle/ammo setup where the bolt wouldn't retract and there was primers "slightly flattened" I wouldn't feel comfortable in continuing with the same combination. All I'm guessing is : if it isn't something in the rifle, then it has to be in the ammo.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Good point ICANHITHIMMAN

Also, make sure the scope base screws are in the correct locations.

Rem uses long and short.

I don't remember which is front or rear.

Perhaps they protrude and only contact once the firing pin drops??

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. I have been checking other forums and the action screws and or the base screws have been the culprit on several occasions. I guess my biggest worry is a head space problem that would make the rifle unsafe. I will check the screws when the smith is done doing his thing. Will post with the cUse and solution used no matter how stupid it makes me look. LOL

Thanks again

Will post with the cUse and solution used no matter how stupid it makes me look. LOL

not as stupid as some guy that blows himself up or worse yet ruins a good rifle because he ignores a problem :D

Good news. Bad news. Chamber is shot. Pun intended. Alot of burrs around the belt area and pitting in the shoulder area. Should have known the rifle was too good to be true but when you buy used online you get what you get. Good news is now I have an excuse to have it re-barreled and the Action trued up. Fortunately for me Kirby is finishing up a 300 WSM for me soon so hopefully that will ease the wait.

Or have the barrel set back, and the chamber re-cut. I guess it would depend on the rifling being worn or damaged as well.

Like you said, 308, I'd go for a nice new barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.