die won't de-prime

TheFishBox

Hey guys I am not a newb to reloading but for the life of me I can't figure out why my redding type s bushing dies for my 6mm br won't de-prime when I resize the brass. I set the dies up just like my 338 lapua bushing dies I think but it wont pop the primer all the way out. Before I screw something up I figured I would pose the question to see if you guys have any ideas.

For my setup I put the ram all the way up and screwed the die down for slight camover and then screw the dial down for sizing of the neck right?

I run everything through a Lee Universal Decapping Die. Problem solved. :D

Of course, I then clean everything with stainless media, and may anneal, so it's better to have the primer out first.

I run everything through a Lee Universal Decapping Die. Problem solved. :D

Of course, I then clean everything with stainless media, and may anneal, so it's better to have the primer out first.

+1, it is an added step but also can find loose primer pockets and there's no crud in the sizing dies. Barrelnut's fix is the ticket to get the sizing die to decap. Good luck

I think I know where I screwed it all up at.:rolleyes: The dies I bought are 6mm remington br not norma, and the norma has a slightly longer neck which is probably the difference I need to get a primer to pop out fully. There shouldn't be any issue using the dies for neck sizing that I can see, I should still be able to use the shoulder bump die to bump the shoulder right?

I guess I need to buy a small primer decapping die.

The decapping pin on your die is adjustable. It took me a while to figure it out on my redding dies. The decapping rod is threaded in from the bottom, but there's a set screw in line with the rod which you access from the top. Once you loosen the screw you'll be able to move the pin down and solve your problem.

I have redding competition dies I thought the decapping rod was glued in on those, ie not adjustable?

It's a bushing die correct? I use the bushing dies and the instructions say you can remove the bushing, them screw the rod down further until the decapping pin protrudes more and then use the die as a general decapping die. Might want to try that.

One the other hand I also use a Lee decapping die for everything. They are money well spent if you load for several cartridges.

Well you learn something new every day, sure enough thats what they put the little bit larger wrench in the box for. El matador thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts