Bullet seating die

Wachsmann

Hello All,
I have a Lee bullet seating die set for a 30-06. I can seat regular lead tip bullets ok but any time I go to any of the balistic tip bullets it apears that the die never seats or touches the bullets sholder. It seats the bullet by pressing on the tip. I have knoticed some small copper or jacket residue on the side of the bullet as if it may had been sightly seated at an angle scraping the mouth of the shell casing. I have read on another site where someone had drilled the bullet seater out so it would grab the sholder of the bullet but I dont think this is a good practice. I am thinking about going to some bench rest seating dies like forester with a cabiler on top. Any susgestion or has anyone knoticed this out of there on dies and different brands. Thanks.

If you don't want to 'drill out' your seater plug, you have some options. First, make sure the seater plug is clean. I've seen seaters that had gunk built up from seating other bullets and all they needed was a good cleaning to work correctly. Secondly, you can have another seater plug made for your bullet. I had LEE make me one for a 357 Maximum a few years ago, they just required one of my bullets to use as a guide. Thirdly you could get a different seater die. It's pretty simple to make sure the die impacts correctly, just take a projectile with you to the store to check how it fits into the seater plug.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.