Didn't Know there was a turkey hunting forum

fishybobtrout

As many times as I've looked on this web site, I didn't see this forum until today. I'm sure it doesn't get much traffic this time of year, but thought I'd post some pics from last year and this past spring.

Turkey hunting is something I started doing about 4 or 5 years ago and consider myself a pure novice and amateur. But it is more fun than almost anything else and if I had to choose just one type of hunting to do, it would be Turkey Hunting. The good thing about it is you don't have to sit in one place all day. If they are gobbling you don't have worry about where they are, just how to get close to them. And even if you don't kill or see one, it can still make for an exciting morning.

I only killed one turkey during the 2009 season, Alabama birds can be hard at times, but you gotta love a 2 year old bird.

turkeyn.jpg

This year was a pretty good season, for no more than i got to hunt. Got this one on opening day. 11 inch beard. Dave Smith Decoy is expensive, but we had great year with them. We saw more interaction between turkeys and these decoys than with any of the other I've tried.

photojsw.jpg

Then after getting my teeth kicked in by Alabama easterns, we went to North Texas for some Rios. Rios, you gotta love'em. It's almost like cheating, If i felt any worse about hunting Rios I don't think I could shoot them. Good thing I'm ok with it.

texash.jpg

img0089f.jpg

img0100uj.jpg

I'm already looking forward to this upcoming Spring season. Not sure what I'll be using this year. Last year my 870 Super Mag with Red Dot did fine, but I can't get it to pattern like my Super X2 does. The longest shot made on any the turkeys in these pics was 25 yards, so I'm not sure that the patterning makes much of a difference for that.

Bob.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.