Did I just destroy my brass?

I understand how anyone would even consider loading that brass!
Is your face worth the price of saving a few pieces of brass?

It was cooking at 550 degrees with a color change....what more do you need to know?

To me it looks like similar discolouration of annealing only on the whole case. I think you may found another way to home anneal, if you kept the case heads in water to keep them cool, might work lol

It's all about the case head and IMO this could be crazy dangerous and not worth the risk to you and the firearm. I'd throw them out. I'm interested in what Norma has to say though.

Also, just noticed in the pic that they are not the same color all the way around. Seems the toaster oven is kinda like a broiler. There were really only cooked on the top side.
This probably makes the brass softer on one side. They could banana on you when fired. Or have a tendency to make the necks crooked coming out of the die.
This is exactly what I expected someone to say. It is not the air temperature, it is the radiant heat from the electric elements in the toaster. If the air is near 500 the case could easily be hundreds of degrees hotter. When you stand next to a camp fire you feel the heat from the flames on your face but the air is still cold on your backside. That is why you preheat an over before putting anything it. The radiant heat from the elements will burn the food before the air gets up to the convection cooking temperature. They are unevenly annealed.

I'm old
I have learned from my experience
If your undecided choose the safe path it allways turns out Good
What is your gun, your health, the people around you Worth

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.