Did I just destroy my brass?

How is it a muzzle loader has no brass case and they are safe and here we have a rifle stronger than a muzzle loader and discolored brass is going to cause dangerous over pressure?

How is it a muzzle loader has no brass case and they are safe and here we have a rifle stronger than a muzzle loader and discolored brass is going to cause dangerous over pressure?

Now that there is one really bad comparison and demonstrates a very poor understanding of guns. Most ML run about 25,000 PSI, modern cartridge 50-65,000 psi. On top of that, a ML has a thick, steel breech plug that screws in to close the end of the breach, modern cartridge, the brass is what closes off the breach.

I don't think that it is an over pressure problem, but you annealed (softened) the case head on brass that is known for soft case heads
I think that the worst that will happen is his primers will leak or blow out all together with possible damage to the bolt or the case will stick.
either way is it worth it?

The muzzle loader is basically sealed unit where the cartridge case "seals" an somewhat open chamber. The open section (somewhat unsupported for lack of a better description) is generally the web of the case which is hardened to support the chamber pressures. If softened enough by annealing then it could rupture. Your basic case failure.

IMO it's just not worth it considering the possible injury or damage to the firearm.

The muzzle loader is basically sealed unit where the cartridge case "seals" an somewhat open chamber. The open section (somewhat unsupported for lack of a better description) is generally the web of the case which is hardened to support the chamber pressures. If softened enough by annealing then it could rupture. Your basic case failure.

Thanks.

I would seat some old antique bullets and put those suckers in a cool glass dispaly case. Or maybe sell them as a decoration. But I would personally not shoot them. Those are beautiful.

Also, just noticed in the pic that they are not the same color all the way around. Seems the toaster oven is kinda like a broiler. There were really only cooked on the top side.
This probably makes the brass softer on one side. They could banana on you when fired. Or have a tendency to make the necks crooked coming out of the die.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd shoot them , but I would keep them . I use the sinclair chamber length gauge . to use this I had to ruin a piece of brass by trimming a case neck very short . if you use the hornady coal tool , here is a piece of brass for that . all you need to do is drill and thread the primer pocket . I use brass with cracked necks to set up my annealer on . I hate to ruin perfectly good brass for things like I just mentioned .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.