Did I fix my reloading problem, do others do this?

Yeah, .4's -1.0's MOA is the range of this 7Rum Sendero rifle.
Been playing with .284 160 Accubonds and the Berger 180 VDL's
Like to shave it down to an average of .5 or better if possible.

Do you think this is this unreasonable?

I am looking into local smiths for a blue printing of the action and shortening up my lands that are untouchable. I guess vdls love to kiss the lands from what I have been told.

After corn vibrator and the ultra sonic cleaner my cases look sexy...I love that.
B4 I run them through the die I need to get a magnifier a double check the primer position to the runout. I had be assuming position on faint extractor marks, only thing is they were twice fired.

Mentioning primers, make sure to deburr the inside at the primer hole as the piercing die can put up a pretty ugly burr inside and it will impact how uniform the burn will be and it will add variation to the chamber pressures and group size. If your chasing those last few .1's moa its mandatory. Dont get carried away but that burr is there and its gotta go.

.5 MOA is about the limit on a stock barrel in general I think. Now in total conflict to that I shot .2's - .3's yesterday with my old flat bolt Ruger M77 .243 and the rifling at the muzzle is mostly gone but thats a 3 shot group (a four shot group and its about 1 moa. The first shot was a cold barrel.

It will always throws the first one out and down about and inch then lays them right in there.

243XMR435090Nosler004jpg.jpg

I do get a cold flier out of this one too...My Old Sako dosn't do this though:rolleyes:

+1 on the flash hole, I check em too.

That's some good shooting.

Its a good idea to shoot the barrel warmer at a spotter circle then shoot for group size for groups greater than 4 and really a 3 shot group can be very misleading. IMO for target shooting like 100 200 yd matchs which shoot 10 shots for score its important to know your group size for groups no less than 10 and fired within 20 minutes and the barrel will really be cookin.

For hunting purposes I think, IMO, the barrel wamer should be shot at the bulls eye and then a more reflective MOA is revealed. If it takes more than one or two shots to take down the game there are other problems like the quarry is too far for an accurate shot and the groups size is meaningless.

When you think you got it dialed in shoot a group of 10 and time it so you fire them all including your spotters in 20 minutes. Shoot 3 into the spotter ring and 10 at the scoring ring.

A funny story but I'll share it. Years ago I lived in Ak and a lot of shots were long range shots 300 - 400 was typical. I was Moose hunting and I heard someone firing off in the distance and estimated they were about a mile away. 15 or so rounds were fired and it sparked my curious nature. It was rare to ever hear or even see another hunter we were so out in the boondocks. I thought maybe someone had an emergency so we went to investigate. As we approached this "hunter" I saw he was alone (not good in the backwoods of Ak anyway) but he didn't seem to be in any sort of pickle and still firing away. I sat down and got out my glasses and checked him out. On the ground was 4 boxes of factory ammo and a lot of spent rounds. I looked out in the bog and saw a nice bull moose standing in about 4 feet of water about 400 yds. Each time this guy shot I could see the water fly about 20 yards in front and way behind the bull who wasn't even alarmed. The shooting went on and my partner and I walked on down to see what the story was. We asked him if he had a problem with his gun maybe dropped it or something banged his scope. " No I just never had a chance to sight it in" and "I really wanted to catch me a moose" My partner and I looked at each other and I knew what was coming.

So he asks this guy if he really wanted to "catch" that moose and he said he sure did. Without another word my partner studied the moose just for a moment, shouldered his rifle and instantly fired one off dropping the moose dead in his tracks. "There consider him "caught" The guy was mad as hell wanting to know what the heck he did that for that he had brought enough ammunition and sooner or later he could have "caught" it.

I was laughing so hard I thought I'd split a gut and at the same time it was all I could do to keep my partner from breaking the guys nose.

When I first met my partner I gave him a hard time about not wanting to use a scope on his rifle (Sporterized Springfield .30-06)that was until I saw him shoot. He was an Olympic Biatholon competitor and soon found out why. In all the years we hunted together I never saw him with a scope on his rifle. He said they just weren't necessary and if you could see it you can hit it. The man could shoot and proved it many times. He was an incredible marksman.

What does that have to do with this thread? Im not sure :D I always remember that day when I'm having problems at the range. He passed away some years ago and I wish I had asked him a lot more questions when I had the chance.

I still have visions of that guy "catching" that moose. That would be a handful. I had a cow with a calf almost "catch" me once. There was a tree near by and I got up it fast.

Last edited:
Its a good idea to shoot the barrel warmer at a spotter circle then shoot for group size for groups greater than 4 and really a 3 shot group can be very misleading. IMO for target shooting like 100 200 yd matchs which shoot 10 shots for score its important to know your group size for groups no less than 10 and fired within 20 minutes and the barrel will really be cookin.

For hunting purposes I think, IMO, the barrel wamer should be shot at the bulls eye and then a more reflective MOA is revealed. If it takes more than one or two shots to take down the game there are other problems like the quarry is too far for an accurate shot and the groups size is meaningless.

When you think you got it dialed in shoot a group of 10 and time it so you fire them all including your spotters in 20 minutes. Shoot 3 into the spotter ring and 10 at the scoring ring.

A funny story but I'll share it. Years ago I lived in Ak and a lot of shots were long range shots 300 - 400 was typical. I was Moose hunting and I heard someone firing off in the distance and estimated they were about a mile away. 15 or so rounds were fired and it sparked my curious nature. It was rare to ever hear or even see another hunter we were so out in the boondocks. I thought maybe someone had an emergency so we went to investigate. As we approached this "hunter" I saw he was alone (not good in the backwoods of Ak anyway) but he didn't seem to be in any sort of pickle and still firing away. I sat down and got out my glasses and checked him out. On the ground was 4 boxes of factory ammo and a lot of spent rounds. I looked out in the bog and saw a nice bull moose standing in about 4 feet of water about 400 yds. Each time this guy shot I could see the water fly about 20 yards in front and way behind the bull who wasn't even alarmed. The shooting went on and my partner and I walked on down to see what the story was. We asked him if he had a problem with his gun maybe dropped it or something banged his scope. " No I just never had a chance to sight it in" and "I really wanted to catch me a moose" My partner and I looked at each other and I knew what was coming.

So he asks this guy if he really wanted to "catch" that moose and he said he sure did. Without another word my partner studied the moose just for a moment, shouldered his rifle and instantly fired one off dropping the moose dead in his tracks. "There consider him "caught" The guy was mad as hell wanting to know what the heck he did that for that he had brought enough ammunition and sooner or later he could have "caught" it.

I was laughing so hard I thought I'd split a gut and at the same time it was all I could do to keep my partner from breaking the guys nose.

When I first met my partner I gave him a hard time about not wanting to use a scope on his rifle (Sporterized Springfield .30-06)that was until I saw him shoot. He was an Olympic Biatholon competitor and soon found out why. In all the years we hunted together I never saw him with a scope on his rifle. He said they just weren't necessary and if you could see it you can hit it. The man could shoot and proved it many times. He was an incredible marksman.

What does that have to do with this thread? Im not sure :D I always remember that day when I'm having problems at the range. He passed away some years ago and I wish I had asked him a lot more questions when I had the chance.

I still have visions of that guy "catching" that moose. That would be a handful. I had a cow with a calf almost "catch" me once. There was a tree near by and I got up it fast.

I will forever think of this story anytime I miss. In my brain I will hear, "just keep shooting. Sooner or later I will hit it." Ha ha. That guy needed a fully auto sounds like. (Preferably belt-fed)!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.