defiance actions

bretterath

on my new 338 build im planning on using a defiance ul action. im also planning on using a terminator t3 brake on this rifle. My question is with building a 338 do you think I need to go with the deviant hunter that has the full rail on it or do you think I would be fine with the deviant ul which has a small rail in front and a small one in back but not one piece. Both of these actions the rail is all integrated into the receiver.

Defiance Actions | Defiance Machine

If it were me I would keep it as light as possible and go with the UL.

My 338 RUM weighs 7.5 lbs bare and is more accurate than I can shoot. I was using Talley rings for the past couple of years with no problem and recently switched to Hawkins precision lightweight rings to get 25 MOA of cant. The point is I run a very lightweight scope setup and the rifle shoots in the .1's and .2's. You don't need a heavy rail to be accurate, although lots of folks here think you do.

I am also running a Terminator T3, it is a very efficient brake.

Personally I like having at least a little mounting options like the hunter, the UL you have not wiggle room in mounting and I don't think that weight is going to even be noticed if your using a steel action anyway.

i haven't had a problem with any of my tally rings with scope options or adjustment so I'm thinking that will be ok. Another concern is do you thing there would be any flex without the one piece rail? It shouldn't i wouldn't think since its all integrated into the receiver.

Timber 338, can i ask what your components were on your 338? Thats the weight I'm trying to shoot for.

Borden Timberline Magnum action w/ Wyatt box
#4 contour 27" Hart barrel plus the T3
McMillan Game Scout w/ edge fill 14.125" LOP
Hawkins precision 25 MOA lightweight rings

Right now running the Vortex Razor AMG with the new style Vortex bubble level. Sacrificed a bit of extra weight for this scope but I think it's worth it. Totally set up w/ scope I'm right at 9.75 lbs.

Bigngreen is right with limiting your scope mounting options... I was running the VX6 and it has a short main tube and I really needed more reward travel with that scope but could not get it. The AMG is a longer scope so not a problem. I'm glad he brought this up because I had forgotten it and it is a very good piece of advice to consider. Figure out your scope up front and see if it will be an issue.

thanks for the info again guys.
I will be running a 5.5-25x50 nightforce so do you think that will be fine?

timber 338 do you remember what your #4 barrel weight? i think they are pretty close to the proof carbon barrels.

Another thing on my build I'm trying to decide between the mcmillian htg, game scout and the manner EH-1.

components will be a proof carbon barrel
defiance action
stock one of the above
trigger tech
terminator t3 brake or nathan dagley's extreme brake he makes
hinged floor plate

I do not know the weight of my #4 contour barrel. I would guess around 3.75 lbs or so. Totally guessing but I would assume a Proof carbon would weigh a bit less?? Maybe some other folks could chime in who know.

Always a tough choice on choosing a stock. Manners does not inlet for a Borden action but would really like to try one someday. I am happy with the Game Scout I have big hands so I love the A3 style grip. I have considered having a gunsmith inlet the Manners EH2 or EH3.

Now that I think about it, the Game Scout is listed at being only to handle up to about a #5 contour barrel so might not work with your Proof barrel. Manners says the EH1 will go up to a #8 contour.

The Deviant Tactical has the full rail. The Deviant Hunter has a full slim down rail with 4-5 picitinny slots depending on caliber. The Deviant Ultralight has the two piece look . I went with the Deviant Hunter/20moa for my 338 Lapua. The picture below is not mine, but the same (Deviant Hunter). My build progress can be found in my signature below.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 183
the proof barrel will weigh 3lbs 2oz.
I have seen on hunting forums where they have used the proof barrel on the game scouts so not sure what they did there. Maybe they did the sendero light contour and that will work, not sure.

Co shooter, that bolt in that pic is that the standard fluting that comes with it or the deep fluting?

Co shooter, that bolt in that pic is that the standard fluting that comes with it or the deep fluting?

Im not 100% certain as that was a picture I found on the net. I went with the deep flutes on mine and faceted bolt shroud. Here's a picture with the faceted shroud. Not an option on their site, but they will do it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 174
Does everyone think that the 5.5-25x50 will work on the ul action?

Do you still think that the ul with the two separate rails will be fine with the 338 since it is integrated? Or do you think i would have any issues with any flex or anything cause its not one piece?

Thanks for the help guys. I have built a few guns before and wasn't always 100% satisfied with all my components so what this rifle to be exactly what I've been wanting.

I went with the Hunter due to the possibility of flex and to save a few ounces. If I recall, the Ultralight is only offered with 20 MOA.

I don't have a rail, just lightweight aluminum rings and my AMG is only 1-2 ounces lighter than the NF 5.6-22. My rifle is shooting 1/4 MOA at 1000 yards. So I do not think flex will be an issue on the UL action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.