Defiance XM Action experience for 7saum

midnightmalloy

Looking to build a 7saum for hunting and wondering if anyone has experience with the Defiance deviant XM for a wsm or saum (not off a short or long action but the XM action length). I would appreciate some feedback on how it feeds mostly and if you used their defiance xm bottom metal.

The guy I use for a gunsmith uses a defiance deviant for his PRS rifle. It's not the XM, just a regular one. When I floated the idea of using a deviant out there on one of my LRH builds he advocated against it. Apparently deviant has a tendency to spec their parts kinda close, which results in less than desirable ergonomics, and the only way he was able to make his rifle work well enough was to turn the bolt down coat it and run it 15k times.

He recommended a lone peak action which I'm absolutely thrilled with. He's actually placed top ten at a few major prs events and his shops work is regularly featured there as well, so I kinda assume he knows what he's doing.

I realize this doesn't answer your question directly, but hopefully it helps out.

Best

The guy I use for a gunsmith uses a defiance deviant for his PRS rifle. It's not the XM, just a regular one. When I floated the idea of using a deviant out there on one of my LRH builds he advocated against it. Apparently deviant has a tendency to spec their parts kinda close, which results in less than desirable ergonomics, and the only way he was able to make his rifle work well enough was to turn the bolt down coat it and run it 15k times.

He recommended a lone peak action which I'm absolutely thrilled with. He's actually placed top ten at a few major prs events and his shops work is regularly featured there as well, so I kinda assume he knows what he's doing.

I realize this doesn't answer your question directly, but hopefully it helps out.

Best

Who is your gunsmith?

Travis Stevens at TS Customs
605 870 1567

Give him a call. I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you about it.

Ragnarnar,

Apparently deviant has a tendency to spec their parts kinda close, which results in less than desirable ergonomics, and the only way he was able to make his rifle work well enough was to turn the bolt down coat it and run it 15k times.

We all have definitive opinions about who makes the best of anything. I don't want to suggest anything untoward but I've built a couple of thousand PRS rifles for competitors, including several top performers, all with Defiance Machine actions. I have never had any problems, either during the build or while being run by competitors in a competition.

Regards.

Looking to build a 7saum for hunting and wondering if anyone has experience with the Defiance deviant XM for a wsm or saum (not off a short or long action but the XM action length). I would appreciate some feedback on how it feeds mostly and if you used their defiance xm bottom metal.

midnightmalloy,

You might want to discuss the bullets/powders you intend to use for your 7mm RSAUM. This might make a difference as to whether you really need the XM action. I've run quite a few SAUMS through standard SA Defiance Machine actions without any difficulty.

But I have also built several MX actions dedicated to the x 57 cartridges and some WSM cases. The 6.5 Rem Mag. can benefit from the XM as well. The 3.2" magazine can be beneficial for some bullet/powder combinations but not necessarily all.

Regards.

midnightmalloy,

You might want to discuss the bullets/powders you intend to use for your 7mm RSAUM. This might make a difference as to whether you really need the XM action. I've run quite a few SAUMS through standard SA Defiance Machine actions without any difficulty.

But I have also built several MX actions dedicated to the x 57 cartridges and some WSM cases. The 6.5 Rem Mag. can benefit from the XM as well. The 3.2" magazine can be beneficial for some bullet/powder combinations but not necessarily all.

Regards.

Yes I understand I can run a short action. I would like to have the flexibility to run the coal as long as possible. I will want to run 175-180 berger hybrids. Elite hunters and hybrid targets. Powder would likely be H1000. Really I want to know how the XM feeds with these short fat cases. Thanks.

midnightmalloy,

The RSAUM cases will run just fine through the XM action because that's what the action was designed for. It runs the RSAUMs, WSMs and the 6.5 Rem Mag. great.

H-1000 is too slow for the cartridge/bullet/powder combination even with the bullet seated way out.

Regards.

midnightmalloy,

The RSAUM cases will run just fine through the XM action because that's what the action was designed for. It runs the RSAUMs, WSMs and the 6.5 Rem Mag. great.

H-1000 is too slow for the cartridge/bullet/powder combination even with the bullet seated way out.

Regards.

Yes I understand the action is built to handle the saum/wsm cartridges. I wanted to know if anyone had any first hand actual experience with the action and cartridge combination. Do you have first hand experience with this action?

I wanted to know if anyone had any first hand actual experience with the action and cartridge combination. Do you have first hand experience with this action?

It runs the RSAUMs, WSMs and the 6.5 Rem Mag. great.

I guess I have to be more blatant:

Yes, the RSAUM cartridge runs through the XM action. Yes, I have personal hands-on experience building dozens of rifles in this combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.