Defensive Edge - "Sheep Hunter" in 280 Ack Imp

Shawn, awsome looking setup. How does that little NXS perform in low light? Do you think that is enogh scope for deer at 800 yards?

Cheers,

It performs better than alot of 40mm Obj. scopes in low light. I practice on my 10" disks out to 1K with it. I think the horsepower is getting light out there for heavy animals but it is an honest 800 yard deer, sheep & goat rifle. Elk might be getting marginal in my opinion.

Shawn, what you need to do is bring that rifle down to New Zealand and turn it in to a Tahr rifle. Invite Steve7mm08 along and sell it to him at the end of the trip! Do a couple of longe range seminars while you are here to cover your expenses, I bet even some of the Aussies would come over. Come dowm in mid-April for the red stag roar as well, (also thats when I have two weeks holiday). Between all the Kiwis on this site we will look after you I'm sure. Hell, bring some friends while your at it!!

Stu.

Thanks for that Shawn, I find your choice of scope very interesting as i am having a rifle very similar to yours built except it will be a 7mm STW, and im having a bit of trouble deciding on a scope. I had pretty much decided on a Mark 4 3.5-10X40 M1, but now the smaller lighter NXS looks appealing. How do you think the two would compeer, especially in low light? I see that the NXS is not parallax adjustable, is this not a problem for the longer ranges?

Kiwi3006s idea is a great one, there are plenty of us kiwis to show you (or anybody else) around.

I like the NXS over the 3.5-10 M1, I have both and actually give the nod to the NXS in low light. I am looking at putting together a class/hunting/filming trip for 2009 to New Zealand trying to figure out exactly what to do.

Keep in touch with the kiwi's on this site and you will be well looked after Shawn.

There's plenty of Red Stag and Sika hunting for the keen...

Here is my LH sheep hunter in 280 Ackley Imp. with a 400 yard target I shot a few days ago.
SHEEPHUNTERWEB1.JPG

It is:

Rem 700 SS LA
Hart # 4 fluted barrel 24"
Borden camo impregnated stock in Mossyoak Breakup
Alloy bolt shroud
Ti firing pin assy
Leupold DDT rings and bases
Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS NPR2 with Zero Stops
Tuned factory trigger set at 2.5 lbs

It has been a real joy to shoot and hunt with very light, (6.7 lbs without scope) quick handling ( the scope has the ability to be mounted very low and lets the rifle be mounted like a shotgun ) and decent shooting (see target). I have over the years been infected with long range shooting so anything I build still has to have some legs. Shooting my 10" steel disks at 600-800 yards is not a big challange. I have been shooting RL-22 under some 160 gr Accubonds with really good success. I hope to use it some this fall on a pack hunt or two.

I'm not familar with that combo...how is a long action, #4 fluted only weighing 6.7 lbs? Ti action?

I need some details... Thanks

It is a standard SS rifle, a few oz could be saved by going to a short action and a 7 WSM and a few more by going to a ti action it is a question fojust how deep you want to get into it. The stock is quite light 18 oz. There are quite a few light weight items on it as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.