Deer NEVER look up?

Mark Brendemuehl

A shot of a basic 8 that busted me in a huge way. I was in a stand about 11 feet off the ground. Thankfully I am shooting a Canon 50D at 6.5 frames per second, because he didn't stick around long....
I normally take mostly photos of waterfowl, but needed a little something different to add to the studio.
Mark
IMG_1111_edited-1.jpg

I've never had much luck hunting under 15' and usually try to get above 20.' Probably get some better pics the closer to the ground I would think.

I really try to do everything at eyeball level... just makes for a better photo to me. In this case, I had to use a portable tree stand. The ground was just too bare in this area to mess around with a ground blind. It was ok though... I saw a ton of deer in 3 days and got some cool shots.
Mark

The last two deer i baged crossed in front of me out of range and if i didn't look behind me as they were following me from behind, always look behind you as deer will come up from behind too check you out learned this from an old outdoors man

I am shooting a Canon 50D with a Canon F2.8 70-200 IS L series lens. Worth every penny when the light gets low. It is lightning fast, clear, and the 2.8 apperature is so worth the extra weight etc. I wouldnt trade that lens for a 100-400 on a dare.
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.