deer bullets

marky123

Hello
I have a .243 which I use mainly for foxes but I want to use it for deer.I reload almost exclusively for it and I want to know which if any of the following are suitable for roe.I think I know the answer.
75gn vmax
87gn vmax
80gn sierra blitz
90 gn ppu (factory)
105gn amax
cheers
MARK

The V-Max bullets are varmint bullets and as such are not a good choice due to their ultra thin jacket. They're designed to come apart on impact and penetration would probably not be good.

I'd strongly consider a bullet designed for medium to big game rather than these.

If you want a polymer tipped jacketed bullet for any but the largest deer species the Nosler Ballistic Tip 90gr and 95gr offerings are excellent and are great for long range shooting as well.
Nosler: bullets, ammunition, rifles, brass, and reloading data.

$bob$

What about the 100 gr Nosler Partition? I have been shooting the 95 B. tips at paper on our local range, also punching paper with 100 gr Sierra Game Kings. I bought a box of 100 gr Partitions to load for whitetails this fall.
Yes, I know I should be shooting my 30-06, but it has downed many animals and my 243 is new.

Hi Bear2.

A good friend of mine hunt deer with is 243 almost al the time and e start to load for it 2 year a go. The 100gr partion was is chose. Can garenti you that it will do it. One of is shot was perfect center in the lung and we found bone fragment in the liver. And if you have to go mose hunting it will do it if you keepit close.

Yes, V-Maxs are not good at all for big game. There has been some 7mm V-max used on muleys and it only left an open wound and still got away. For sure it lived but if the wound gets infected then that buck will die.

I'm a Vld guy that would use 95 or 105 for deer. They are excellent for penetration upon entrance then expands violently so pass through is not consistent is generally what Vlds do.

Besides your V-maxs, I don't know enough about the other bullets to make a statement on it except that 105 A-max is an excellent choice for beyond 1000 yards target shooting for the 6mm class.

Original Post , Suggest you use them for predator hunts. Deer need a more substantial load and structure of the bullet as indicated by previous posts. I personally stay away from ballistic tip bullets for deer. Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Barnes, Remington Core Loc, Nosler partitions all have great deer getting expansion and accuracy.

My .o2 cents

Nosler ballistic tip are just like Hornady sst(super shock tip) right? Then nosler accubond and hornady interbond are also close in performance. The bonded bullets are harder than the tip bullets.

theodore, you are correct. I still stay away from ballistic tip bullets. It is not that they are not good , accurate, penetrating?? a little bit questioned . Bonded bullets are great as are Barnes.etc. There are a lot of bullets that will perform in a 1st class way and others that dispatch and destroy a lot of meat uselessly. They also tend to splatter and not penetrate another tracking job. Just what you needed at the end of a long day in the stand or a long way from the cabin. Premium bullets are available without the tipped version, except barnes( they are still solid brass with petals) E tipped bullets. Even with a 243 there are a lot of bullets available that have retention of the original weight for the most part. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.