Decisison decisions..

I'm fairly new to the long range scene so my idea of long range is limited, and needs to be practiced before I can make ethical shots on game from longer distance than say 400 yards. But I would like a gun that is going to get me out to maybe 700 on elk and that's really as far as I have any business shooting at elk in my opinion. I have also thought of a bigger 338 that would be fun but that will probably come at a later date.

The Sendero is obviously a higher quality tier of rifle than the 700 LR so it comes with a higher price tag.

Well, the only things I've noticed are the fluted barrel, jeweled bolt, stainless steel vs carbon steel, and the more expensive HS Precision stock. Other than that, I haven't seen any differences. Every 700 action will still need truing and blueprinting, and every 700 will need a trigger swap if it came with the XMP trigger. These are just my observations.

If I end up getting one the long ranges, I can compare it to an older Sendaro that my father in law has. I think this is the route I will go, it seems like the route I want to go. Any other insight I can get would be welcomed! Thank you for all the insight already given.

If I end up getting one the long ranges, I can compare it to an older Sendaro that my father in law has. I think this is the route I will go, it seems like the route I want to go. Any other insight I can get would be welcomed! Thank you for all the insight already given.
It's not going to be just like the Sendero. The original sendero is very similar, but has a jeweled bolt, a much better factory trigger, and sits in an HS Precision stock.

I'm fairly new to the long range scene so my idea of long range is limited, and needs to be practiced before I can make ethical shots on game from longer distance than say 400 yards. But I would like a gun that is going to get me out to maybe 700 on elk and that's really as far as I have any business shooting at elk in my opinion. I have also thought of a bigger 338 that would be fun but that will probably come at a later date.

Keep it simple and easier for yourself esp. when it is not going to be your last rifle purchase, most have recommended the venerable .300 Win Mag thus far, two of which is from the Big Sky Country. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

As previously stated, feed her 210s/215s (or even the 230) Berger VLDs and you're golden. I harvested a bull elk in 2013 @ 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD; so it's definitely capable.

Here's an excellent thread on Berger VLDs and the .300 Win Mag from another Montanan, Jeff (BROZ) >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Cheers!

Something about an 7mm just keeps pulling me in.. The 300 win just doesn't excite me. Not that it's a bad caliber, kinda like the ford vs chevy argument.. But I will keep the idea of a 300 win in mind

Something about an 7mm just keeps pulling me in.. The 300 win just doesn't excite me. Not that it's a bad caliber, kinda like the ford vs chevy argument.. But I will keep the idea of a 300 win in mind

I gave my 7MM Mag to my son and 7 STW to build but I keep going back to my go to chamberings ... the .300 Win Mag. In fact I am more excited with my .270 AI pushing the 175 Matrix beyond 3K FPS and my 1st shortmag in .300 WSM (currently developing 215 Bergers).

That's a choice you have to make and live with ... and it's a wonderful thing to have.

All we can do is provide you with recommendations and real world Montana experience but the decision is all yours to make. lightbulb

I appreciate all the advice, I'm sure I will end up with one eventually its just a matter of when. Not a bad issue to have. I'm really thinking about making an STW eventually. But I could easily get by with my 270 win and 30-06 for most of my hunting needs. It's just wanting to fill a new soon to be hobby I assume.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.