Decisions, decisions - opinions please.

scotsgun

Folks, id appreciate your opinions. I have two rifles with shot-out barrels; a BSA MONARCH in 270win and a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 22-250. I want a new rifle for mid range deer hunting and hate the shoddy mass production and lack of attention to detail in modern rifles so would rather re-barrel one of these two.

So, which one would you re-barrel, to which caliber and why?

I already own and use a 308, 22-250, 25-06 & 243

Thanks

Not sure if its possible (think so), you might look at 7-08 in your M70. I'm not sure what your definition of mid-range is (for some of these dudes, mid-range is 1K), but 7-08 is a proven deer dropper, is accurate, and would add a .284 to your stable.

270 to a 280AI

160 gr bullets at 3000 fps is hard to beat for an all around hunting gun

Pick a gunsmith, order a barrel and have it shipped to him, make some choices on throat/neck/contour/twist

Enjoy for the rest of your life

If they are both shot out, build the 7-08 and the 280 AI! Go from having no 7's to having 2 sevens.

FWIW, I have rifles chambered in both of the above and both have merits. Like picking between your kids...

Not sure if its possible (think so), you might look at 7-08 in your M70. I'm not sure what your definition of mid-range is (for some of these dudes, mid-range is 1K), but 7-08 is a proven deer dropper, is accurate, and would add a .284 to your stable.

Yes...What he said - 100%

If they are both shot out, build the 7-08 and the 280 AI! Go from having no 7's to having 2 sevens.

FWIW, I have rifles chambered in both of the above and both have merits. Like picking between your kids...

I agree, .280 AI is where it's at! My gunsmith said he has been building them for 40 years and said he loves that caliber. Says he has other customers he built rifles for that are shooting them @ 1K and getting 5-6" groups consistantly. Says for whitetail hunting at 1K and under it is the perfect caliber, and one of his favorite calibers.

My next build will be a .280 AI as my main deer hunting rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts