deciding where to begin

Brian M.

I recently viewed Hart at the hunting show. I've always been into hunting and fishing my whole life, but I've never shot an animal at 1000 yds. I hunt mostly in Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, and Kansas. I would like to know which of the guns in the video's would be more selected for Whitetail and Elk hunting and what modifications or factors are involved. Thanks

Well I'm not the expert but a 300 RUM, does a nice job. Muzzle brake and some trigger work are always nice.
smile.gif
Darryl and Boyd Know more about it than I do.

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]

What I would say to you is get yourself a Sendero in 300 Ultra.Take it to a good gunsmith and tell him to make it shoot.Put a 6.5-20 Leupold LR scope on it.And go practice,practice,practice.That gun will do very well at 1000 yard's on the stuff you are chasing.....
grin.gif

I am sorta in the same situation as Brian, but my only problem is that I am left handed. Would going with a LSS or BLD in 300 RUM be a good start? The barrel contour is a big difference. What affects will this have?

[ 03-01-2003: Message edited by: LaSouthpaw ]

LaSouthpaw,
I too am a lefty when it comes to shooting. But with the LR game you are probably only going to take one shot so the LH shooter with a RH gun isn't too much of a disadvantage. Actually I find reloading with the port on the same side of the rife as me is easier when shooting prone or from a bench. If you look at the custom actions you can see they offer all combinations like LH bolt, RH port etc. Personnaly, I just bought my first LH action two years ago and found it awkward after using RH guns all these yers. Good luck which ever way you go.

Butch

Make that 300 RUM into a Tommahawk and it will be an even "better" LR rig.
wink.gif
As a standard factory chambering, the 300 RUM is still a dandy cartridge though.

Butch and Boyd and BaldE

Went over to the land with four large bags (about 100 lbs each) of corn for the deer yesterday. The sportsman club gives the corn out every Saturday. They usually give out 20 to 30 ton each Saturday during the winter.
Got about 150 feet up the hill and past the gate (in 4 wheel drive) and the truck slid backwards all the way down to the road. All ice under the snow. I'm sure glad the truck stayed in the ruts. Had to put the "Big" chains on that we use in Colorado to get up to the first switch back. The deer were standing there waiting.
smile.gif
There were 12 turkeys on the feed here behind the house this morning.

We will try and keep them fed.

When the ice leaves, I'll let you know and we can kill some rocks.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.