Deciding tween 30-06 and 7mm Rem mag!

7mm Rem Mag for sure, if I were going the 30 cal way it would be the 300 win. I have a pro hunter in the 243 & 300 win 28" fluted barrels, with a 7mm on the way. The 28" barrel is excellent in both ! Outstanding groups and velocities. Had trigger work done. Both shoot .500"or better (depending on me) every time out. Much lighter to carry all day in the mountains than most 28" barreled guns. Short or long range a single shot is not a issue on reloading. My 2 cents worth.gun)

I bought a Tika T3 ultralite in 30-06 for elk as the old M77 in 7mag was getting heavier with age.
HA Ha ha I got me, The 7mag likes heavy bullets and the 30-06 prefers light bullets, my new elk gun is my new goat'deer gun. 6 of one half a dozen of another= It depends more on what the gun prefers that what caliber

Just a quick question. 26" or 28" barrel for the encore? My current Pro hunter muzzy is a 28" barrel and I dont mind carrying and hunting with that at all so I would imagine haveing the 28" barrel wouldn't bother me at all. Just curious if anyone really has had any accuracy issues with it compared to the shorter 26" or 24" barrels? Thanks

My long timed friend and hunting partner hunts with a 7mm STW with a 28" Shilen barrel on a Rem 700 action. He's only 5'7" 140 lbs and it never slowed him down or caused issues.

It doesn't fit in the scabbard very easily though. It's up to you I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.