30-06 or 300mag

So I just built me a 30 06 as a fun gun. I am fortunate to have a few full built custom 7mm, 338 Lapua, and others but wanted to play with one of these. I picked up a Proof Sendero barreled action 22 inch barrel and put a APA Fat Basterd on it. Installed a Trigger tech trigger then picked up a B&C nice used stock and bottom metal. I did the bedding myself and it turned out OK but learned a lot. I am using lapua brass with 62.2 grains of RL26 and the 190 Berger at a speed of 2865 which has proven well to 1000 yards with authority. I am actually really impressed with the groups and the speed. I want to get 2900fps with the berger but it shoots really good right now. I use a Lab Radar for a starting point then verify drops from there.

I've seen a 30-06 drop elk like Thor's Hammer (one was 300 yards) and the 300 WM too. Best of luck.

Good friend shoots a rem 700 and his load is a 165 Sierra bthp. It works fantastic often turning lungs and heart into soup as it passes clean through, something close to 57-58 gr imr 4350. I've had great luck with 150 TTSX from my 300. It's a laser, both will do great, don't feel undergunned it's more about shot placement. Good luck this year!

I think 400yds is a long way, my average ranges on 3 cow elk is 190yds! I think its fine to practice out to even 500yds, just incase you have to finish off a wounded animal. However, there is an Old Saying that I for sure seem to have realized is "90 percent of the elk live in 90 percent of the thickest cover in 90 percent of the roughest country." So yeah, a 30-06 is just fine. I just like how a heavier bullet from magnums "thump them". But magnums that are light enough to hunt with in the mountains can be hard to shoot well. I once carried a Model 70 African Express in .375 H&H and a 2.5x8 scope for a late season mule deer doe. I was going to take the rifle to South Africa later in the year. I was only in my early 40's, fit, and by the end of the day I was tired. About 30 minutes before shooting hours ended I spotted a doe through the woods in an opening that was about 150yds away. I wouldn't have seen her if she had not been in a spot of sunshine. Instead of leaning the rifle against a tree, no, I was going to "off hand her". Well, I "dropped the shot", so to speak, and hit her very low. I lost her blood trail at dark. I agonized all night about that. Next morning I took my Mod 70 FWT in 30-06 (2x7) and picked up her trail. There was about 4" of snow everywhere. I jumped her up 80yds further and she was maybe 50yds from me. Anyhow I broke her down in the hips, then walked up and head shot her. I did this with a 180 Hornady Light Magnum. The 375 Barnes 230 (or 235)X had broke her leg and ripped out the very bottom of her brisket. I could actually see her lung! I gave that particular rifle and the 30-06 to my missionary friend over there. I ended up taking a Mod 700 Classic in 35 Whelen reamed to the Ackley Improved and the Barnes 250X. So, long story to say pick/take a rifle that is handy 'for you" to shoot well.

1UX5KGil.jpg

Cow elk taken with a single 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded to over 2900 fps from my 30-06 rifle at 338 yards.

That same season, the same load took black bear, antelope & mule deer. I've also used it for wolf & grizzly. The 30-06, even today, makes a pretty doggone good all-around big game cartridge.

That said, there's nothing wrong with one of the various 30 caliber magnums. They do the same thing, with 200 - 300 fps more muzzle velocity, at the price of more recoil.

Regards, Guy
Nice elk! I would have thought the ballistic tips would be a bit fragile. Just goes to show there is a lot of stock in keeping it off the shoulder.

Guys a Great Person and an Ausome hunter, he'd be my 1st pick as our Hunting Ambassador to teach all the non hunters how Passionate we hunters are and why we need all our Constitution up heald to the Letter!!! Cheers !

I think this question is impossible to answer and there's no substitute for your own experience. The obvious conclusion then is that, really, you NEED to buy one each!

I have a 300 win mag and absolutely love it as the single most "all purpose" hunting cartridge, in my opinion. I wouldn't feel in any way deficient with the 30-06. There is no wrong answer, but as we've all got people in our lives questioning what we need more than one gun for, I do maintain that "both" is the most right answer.

30-06 or 300 win mag is like asking if you want fries or fries with gravy. Fries on their own are delicious and I would never ever turn up my nose at them or pass up the opportunity to enjoy them. I do like gravy though, so if it's there....

30-06 or 300 win mag is like asking if you want fries or fries with gravy. Fries on their own are delicious and I would never ever turn up my nose at them or pass up the opportunity to enjoy them. I do like gravy though, so if it's there....
You sir, have won the internet for today, for best applied analogy.

One of our shooters at our range bought a brand new Hells Canyon 30/06,,, to break it in he took it on a Northern Hog hunt...

He expelled a 375 lb trophy Hog the first day at 200 + yards,,, then a 260 lb'er the next at 175 ish yards...

165gr Accu-bounds...

1 shot for each Hog... Ha

Yuppers,,, easy peasy fore sure

First time elk hunter. Is a 30-06 enough out to 400 yards or do I need a new gun.

The .30-06 is fine. And just about any bullet will work.

My preference is for bullets I trust to hold together at close range (high velocity) impacts and still expand reliably at longer ranges. Having seen what Hornady A-MAX and other thin-skinned bullets can do (come apart with shallow penetration and igh meat wastage), I prefer stouter bullets for elk. The bullets I use most often are:

Barnes TTSX (.257 Roberts to .300WM)
Barnes LRX (.300WM)
Nosler AccuBond (.257 Roberts to .338WM)
Nosler AccuBond Long Range (.270 Win)
Nosler Ballistic Tip (150g in .308 Win and .30-06)
Swift A-Frame (.257 Roberts)
Swift Scirocco II (6.5-06AI)
North Fork SS (but they are going out of business)

Three others I would use without any qualms:
Nosler Partition
Federal Trophy Bonded Tip
Federal Edge TLR

Rather than get a new rifle (although nothing wrong with that - I use my .300WM a LOT ), you might well be better served spending money on ammo and practice at extended ranges, or good gear. Shooting to 500 and 600 will make 400 seem like a chip shot. Having good boots and wool can be lifesavers. Tire chains for all four, with two rubber tensioners per wheel and a chain repair kit may make the difference between hiking out on foot or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.