7mm rem mag

I run 7MM REM MAG with a Berger 180 VLD all day out up to 800 yards on ELK with out hesitation. Shot placement is all that matters and it sounds like you can plunk steel at 500 yards so pass on the 300 WIN... save the $$

I have a custom 300 win mag that I'll be selling as soon as my Proof 7mm gets here. I've killed some really nice elk with the 300 but as one member here says " there's a lot of drama" with a 300. As much as I love this beautiful rifle and I shoot it well, there's far too much recoil for me to shoot much more that 30-40 rounds practice.

I've been researching the 300 to 7mm transition since October and at least on paper the 7mm with VLD or ELD-X quality bullets in 175gr will deliver more KE downrange 200-300 yards farther than the .30 Barnes TTSX 180gr I've been shooting. At least on paper...

~Robert

I have a custom 300 win mag that I'll be selling as soon as my Proof 7mm gets here. I've killed some really nice elk with the 300 but as one member here says " there's a lot of drama" with a 300. As much as I love this beautiful rifle and I shoot it well, there's far too much recoil for me to shoot much more that 30-40 rounds practice.

I've been researching the 300 to 7mm transition since October and at least on paper the 7mm with VLD or ELD-X quality bullets in 175gr will deliver more KE downrange 200-300 yards farther than the .30 Barnes TTSX 180gr I've been shooting. At least on paper...

~Robert

I'll agree that the 7RM will have less recoil as long as it is running a smaller bullet than the 300RM. I do not agree that the 7RM has more energy than the 300RM. This is simply a comparison of different bullets and not a general rule for the rifle cartridges.

As to the original question, I still say the OP has enough gun in the 7RM to head out and hunt anything on the North American continent.

Steve

You will be just fine with the 7mm rem mag. I have shot a couple of elk with my old 7mag using 160 grain Accubonds out to 500 yards. My buddy shoots a 7mag with the same bullet and has shot a lot of elk. You will not be under gunned. Use a well built bullet and good shot placement and you will be fine. Good luck!

I'll agree that the 7RM will have less recoil as long as it is running a smaller bullet than the 300RM. I do not agree that the 7RM has more energy than the 300RM. This is simply a comparison of different bullets and not a general rule for the rifle cartridges....

Agreed, I thought I made that clear by specifying that I was comparing a 7mm 175gr ELD-X to the .30 180gr Barnes TTSX I've been running in my 300 Win Mag but apparently not.

The Barnes TTSX is all I've been shooting in the 300WM mostly because one of my elk hunt areas require copper or specifically "non-lead" so it became my default easy bullet. The mfr claimed BC is only .454 or so and of course comparing that to a bullet with .660 or so in 7mm with comparable weight is not apples to apples. Still, for me the 300WM is a great gun but for my new direction to learn and practice more at LRH this year switching to a 7mm RM was a choice I made.

Thanks! ~Robert

Agreed, I thought I made that clear by specifying that I was comparing a 7mm 175gr ELD-X to the .30 180gr Barnes TTSX I've been running in my 300 Win Mag but apparently not.

The Barnes TTSX is all I've been shooting in the 300WM mostly because one of my elk hunt areas require copper or specifically "non-lead" so it became my default easy bullet. The mfr claimed BC is only .454 or so and of course comparing that to a bullet with .660 or so in 7mm with comparable weight is not apples to apples. Still, for me the 300WM is a great gun but for my new direction to learn and practice more at LRH this year switching to a 7mm RM was a choice I made.

Thanks! ~Robert

I was talking in general terms not just your post. Text is difficult sometimes to get a guys meaning. In no way was I taking issue with you. Not my intent. Your choice with the 7mm should work great for you, enjoy stretching it out.

If you are ever in need of no lead bullets for elk hunting or whatever we would sure like to help you out. Thanks.

Steve

Hi so I'm new to this forum. I live in Colorado and plan on entering a draw for an Elk tag this year. I have been shooting for about 11 years now, but hunting big game will be a whole new experience for me (provided I am even drawn).

My question is about the 7mm rem mag. I own a lot of different and unique guns, but the only one I own that I believe would be acceptable for hunting is my 7mm rem mag. Not in particular to elk but I have heard mixed reviews with it. For hunting elk in Colorado, I'm curious of peoples opinions on the 7mm rem mag. I was told by a friend that a 300 win mag would better suit me. Hunting big game for the first time, I don't plan on taking any shots over the 500 yard range. I can hit my target with the 7mm dead center, from 500, every time, but thats never been a live and possibly moving target so I don't feel comfortable shooting at a target while big game hunting at a range over that. The last thing I want to do is wound an animal. My main question is should I invest in a different gun than my 7mm rem mag for hunting Elk at or less than 500 yards, and if I do, is there a particular caliber you would recommend.

Any insight is welcome and appreciated!

Sorry late on posting. I moved to Co 1977 and first bull I kill was with 7mag and I got bull each year with that rifle till I switched over to 30cal mags later part of the 80's. We didn't have the bullet back then for the 7mm that we have today. Myself I think lot depends on what units your hunting and some of the drainage I hunt you can have longer shot than 500yds and lot of that depends on what season your hunting. Sometimes having little more is better than not enough even at the shorter yardage.

We have law here he who kills it tags it so you sure what your bull down first shot so some other hunter doesn't finish him off.

You should be more than prepared to take on any elk you can find. This last fall I took my bull at 430 yards with my 300 RUM using a 200gr accubond within the first hour of the season. From nearly the same spot that evening my friend got his bull with a 7mag using 168gr vld's at 756 yards. I watched the whole thing through my spotter and the bull went about 30 yards before he dropped. With a well placed shot and a good bullet you shouldn't have any trouble.

The 7MM Rem Mag was designed to be a long range elk cartridge. Many have come along since then. None have killed more dead.

Cartridge ain't anywhere near as important as where bullets go. Put any bullet through an elk's blood pumping equipment and it will die. Biology is controlling, not cartridges. Nothing living remains in that condition without oxygenated blood to its brain.

The new world record Alaska-Yukon moose, the largest of the 3 North American moose species, was kill a few years ago with a .303 British.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.