Deburring Machine!?!?

w.e.q.

Gentlemen,
This is my first post on this forum but I have been following this websight for some time now and I enjoy the information it provides. Here is my question??
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Deburring Machine show in the picture that I hope to post on this websight. I purchased it in 1991 from as shown in the photo Miller Engineering and it has started to go south, how many cases I have processed on it is mind boggling. It is about the size of half a cigar box and is pressure activated when you press the case down on the chamfer/deburr tool, works real fast and saves the fingers. The RCBS is just toooo big and not near as user friendly. Thanks for any help you folks may be able to provide. Respectfully,
W.Q.

Attachments

• Deburr mach.1.jpg
    Deburr mach.1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 86
Those cutters will do the same when hand held. Though the machine may make the task faster.

While the outside end of the tool does great for the outside of the case mouth, the inside one's not all that great no matter how it's used. It leaves too sharp an edge where the angled part mates with the inside of the case mouth. This means bullet jacket material still get scraped off when the bullet's seated. And removing jacket material tends to unbalance bullets; they don't shoot as accurate as those with no jacket material removed. Use a magnifying glass to inspect seated bullets at the case mouth and you'll see tiny peelings of copper shaved off the bullet right at the case mouth.

I use an Easy-Out screw extractor tool turned clockwise to debur most of the inside edge after trimming a case to length. This makes a shallower angle than standard deburring tools such as those shown in your post. Then I run the case mouth over a bore brush spun by a drill press to smooth out and make the inside edge cleaner and rounder. Bullets seated in case mouths so prepped don't get jacket material scrapped off.

After sizing the fired case, running the case mouths over that spinning bore brush cleans virtually all of the powder residue out and keeps the case mouth inside nice and smooth.

Mr. Bart,
I appreciate your input and I know where you are coming from but that is not the point here. I load 2 to 3000 cases per week, mostly 204s and 223s, they are used mainly by prairie dog shooters. The bullets of choice or either ballistic tips or V-max. The rifles they are used in are mainly Cooper and Kimbers, the accuracy is on the level of 1/2" and less. This is more than adequate for dog bustin, NOT benchrest level but fine for the intended purpose. I am aware the Wilson tool can be used by hand which I did for many years but I never was loading the amount of cartridges that I am now!!
Wanting to get a few more years service out of my fingers, "HA" this auto chamfer/deburr tool has been a lifesaver. I too agree a more shallow angle is better and when I shoot benchrest I use a VLD inside chamfer tool, compliments of Sinclair International. This would be wayyyyyyyyyyy to slow for the volumn of ammo I have to load and I have met the accuracy requirements of my shooters. Take care and thanks again for your input. Respectfully,
W.Q.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.