Debating between 6x47 Lapua and 243 Win

jrsolocam

My next build will be a long range coyote and steel rifle. They both have Lapua brass, would like to hear the finer points comparing these two. Thanks.

You weren't very specific as to your needs.

I'd go with the 6x47L in a 1:8 twist and shoot 107 SMKs. You'll get a lot of pelt damage. But, accuracy will be excellent.

Alternatively, you might want to take advantage of a little more case capacity in the 243 or 243AI and run the 115's from a 1:7.5 twist. Your barrel life will suffer a tad.

If you want long life and superb accuracy just go with the 6br. It's a pure joy to shoot. ...and smack on for coyotes at any range you register with a sub $1k LRF.

Lots of good 6mm choices.

-- richard

Rscott,

Thanks for the input. Borden action, #5 Hart. Medium weight rifle I want to shoot 105 A-Max. If 107 SMK is as explosive I'll try those too. No interest in shooting the 115's. I was just looking for input in case i have missed something. I am leaning toward 6x47L.

"Whats better, Savage or Remington?" Would have drawn more interest.....

I need to learn how to ask questions better.

6x47L sounds like a good fit.

1:8" twist will handle the 105's and still let you drop down to 80 gr bullets if you want to get velocity up for mid-range and a little flatter shooting at coytes on the move.

-- richard

I'm not saying that the 243 Remmington 700 rifle 9 1/4 twist 26 inch I own is the best, but it has a good bang for the buck. Holland brake and 6X24 60mm

This is a 400 yard recovered 100 grain launched at 3200 fps hit input side rib stopped by the far rib of an antelope. shrapnel or bone sprayed 20 feet out the far side. I was suprized to find the bullet.

bullet006-1.jpg

243Brake.jpg

Id go with something diff myself so I'd take the 6x47. The cartrdige was designed for LR shooting and is a well known performer.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts