Dear Nosler and Berger,

I don't have any information on production at Nosler bullet plants, but it is a perplexing situation. It is providing opportunity for boutique bullet manufacturers to get their products in the hands of enthusiasts. It is a strange time indeed. In the end it is not good for the consumers as it just promotes upward pressure on prices we pay. There is a point where many people just stop buying as the price exceeds the value. Obviously we have not reached that point yet. If this is the new normal, I don't want to be normal.

I don't have any information on production at Nosler bullet plants, but it is a perplexing situation. It is providing opportunity for boutique bullet manufacturers to get their products in the hands of enthusiasts. It is a strange time indeed. In the end it is not good for the consumers as it just promotes upward pressure on prices we pay. There is a point where many people just stop buying as the price exceeds the value. Obviously we have not reached that point yet. If this is the new normal, I don't want to be normal.
This is why having more options/competition is good. I still see plenty of Nosler ammo on the shelves. While it is not plentiful, Nosler bullets are also available on the shelves.

Why yes, yes i am ranting, and i do certainly understand supply and demand. I've been in aerospace and defense around the globe for 20 years. Our supply base has been hit harder than just about any other, but guess what? We are making our deliveries at prices we signed up to 5 years ago by paying our suppliers and employees what it takes to meet our commitments. In the coming years some of our products may be priced out of the market so we have to innovate amd change the way we do business to keep market share... that's how it is supposed to work.

Regarding my hobby, I have made the calculation that sending rounds down range to keep my skills sharp will out weigh any marginal benefit of only shooting a fraction of the volume with "elite" components. Can anyone really say their kill rate has increased from 15 years ago just because of modern components?

Yes i enjoy printing smaller groups but that has not translated to any meaningful success increase in the field. Like our awesome dfense products, it means nothing if you can't train and deploy in meaningful numbers.

Agreed! As you eloquently noted, many people do not seem to understand why they are not on the shelves. Bullet makers that have them readily are not in the same manufacturing capacity and demand. A couple of weeks someone asked about the availability of the 215, and below is what I got from Berger,

View attachment 389077
Boilerplate response to every inquiry, unfortunately.

Can anyone really say their kill rate has increased from 15 years ago just because of modern components?
Yes... I can. The number of prairie dogs I hit, versus the rounds I fire... is up substantially.

Big game... well that's hard to quantify. I am shooting them farther than ever, as my maximum distance for a 100% shot on an 8" plate is farther than ever... thanks to advances in bullets, optics, rifles, other components, and reloading equipment. Any one thing by itself is hard to quantify when you get to a certain level. After that, the improvement becomes noticeable in the aggregate.

It sounds like you're quite experienced in your field. However, I'd suggest Berger has more experience managing surges in demand than you do. We've been here before. The critical factor is, most of the people buying all the bullets... don't shoot. They just "want" them... and the more other people that want them, the more THEY want them and will buy them for no other sake than to make sure they have them in case they do want to shoot at some point. (which they won't)

On the back side of these panic surges... is a surplus. There is nothing more deadly to a company than expanding in a panic and then walking into a downturn of demand with a surplus. This is what happened during clinton era panic, obama era panic, and exactly what is happening now. It is a false demand largely built by hoarders and scalpers. Just like every time before, this boom will bust.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Yes... I can. The number of prairie dogs I hit, versus the rounds I fire... is up substantially.

Big game... well that's hard to quantify. I am shooting them farther than ever, as my maximum distance for a 100% shot on an 8" plate is farther than ever... thanks to advances in bullets, optics, rifles, other components, and reloading equipment. Any one thing by itself is hard to quantify when you get to a certain level. After that, the improvement becomes noticeable in the aggregate.

It sounds like you're quite experienced in your field. However, I'd suggest Berger has more experience managing surges in demand than you do. We've been here before. The critical factor is, most of the people buying all the bullets... don't shoot. They just "want" them... and the more other people that want them, the more THEY want them and will buy them for no other sake than to make sure they have them in case they do want to shoot at some point. (which they won't)

On the back side of these panic surges... is a surplus. There is nothing more deadly to a company than expanding in a panic and then walking into a downturn of demand with a surplus. This is what happened during clinton era panic, obama era panic, and exactly what is happening now. It is a false demand largely built by hoarders and scalpers. Just like every time before, this boom will bust.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

This is spot on!!!

Finished a Hammer load development for my wife's upcoming California Tule elk hunt Friday morning. California so leadfree required. I was testing two bullet weights and got to the desired results about 9am. We were heading to breakfast but she had a work issue and couldn't take a break. I checked my email on my phone and one was LRH messages was about the upcoming Hammer Africa hunt so order early. When I finally get on the computer from my wife at roughly 10 a.m., nervous hour wondering if they had my bullets available, I placed an order or 100 Hammer Hunters. Arriving in today's mail. Glad to have found a company with an exceptional product and awesome customer service. On the flip side I believe this is about the 6th one of these component shortages that I have been through and have plenty of about everything on my shelves. I would have made do with Barnes that I had for her if not for wanting to use Hammer's because from my perspective of better on game results.

Two years and not even a sniff of 6mm 105 target hybreds...no call for this Berger .. none !!!!!
So this would probably be a bad time to tell you that I've bought them in the last two years? Not Berger's fault you can't find them.....

....especially since they're literally in stock right this very second. Better hurry 🤣

I would like to thank Hornady for keeping bullets in stock. Here in Utah, if it was not for Hornady we would have nothing to load,
These companies started making bullets for reloaders. Then suppling bullets for ammo manufacturing, who is more important when supplies are down, reloaders or ammo manufactures?
I hope everything can get back to normal so you can to buy supplies easily and not search for months or years to find a bullet, powder, etc. that you need.

Welp they surely won't miss you one single bit.
Your lack of purchasing power isn't due to them not making enough bullets but the ever increasing demand outstripping manufacturing capacity. If your favorite beer is sold out on labor day weekend do you swear off that brand and only drink white claws because they're in stock?
They eventually will. It's the government contract and Berger being bought out that has changed everything. Especially the 215's. More money to be made with their loaded ammo contract.

I'm about over using Berger... I prefer them because of performance... but not being around for over 2 years....

Don't drink so I'm not having that problem, as for bullets there are more available options

Just sit back and let capitalism do its thing! The high quality brands are under a lot of strain due to unprecedented events the last couple of years. There's some with the connections to keep a supply and some willing to pay ridiculous secondary prices from GB to avoid finding an alternative.

The rest of us will move on to other available options and new loyalties to different brands will develop. I couldn't guess the market share companies like Hammer have gained during this round of component shortages. Put out a good product at a time when others cant keep up and you're well on your way to becoming a loading bench staple!

Yes it is a little frustrating when you have a load that works quite well with a certain bullet, but cannot get them anymore. I don't see a lot of Sierra or Speer bullets out there either, only stuff in calibers I don't shoot. I have alerts for some bullets at different retailers but I don't have a list of 30-40 retailers to buy from. I only want/need 20 rounds for a season and I can always grab a different rifle to hunt with if I run out of ammo for another one. Might just have to change bullets, I picked up some Barnes 150ttsx a short time ago for my 7mmRM and loaded the same as the 145LRX and they shoot the same POI. Gotta get what is available.