Dear Nosler and Berger,

That wasn't intended to be a shot across your bow by any means. It's just the generic response received by Berger when inquiring on virtually any bullet.
I did not take it as such. None of the major bullet manufacturers stopped/slowed down production or the shortage happened overnight. What one does to prepare for it is another story.

I'd say if people want to help keep prices reasonable they should stick to established retailers, and not buy anything from "flippers". Buying a bit more than is needed at the time makes sense, but "hoarding" unnecessarily increases demand and makes things worse for everyone else. As the saying goes, "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

THey've been in stock plenty of times in the past 2 months.
Let alone, in the reloading supplies for sale section. People are going to have to put forth more effort and time than before to find what they want and be looking everywhere for supplies. One thing nice about the more bullets, their usually in stock. Reloading supplies are only available after the loaded ammo demands are down.

Now with the 87k new irs employees that will be trained and packing weapons to go door to door and hard telling what other government agencies are building up for "unrest" like a bunch of nazis to get their tax money, rape and pillage the tax paying citizens things are going to get interesting. The government is buying a bunch of ammo, and I would bet there is some private entities or agencies buying up all the ammo just to choke us out. How do you defeat the worlds biggest potential military with the most weapons, you outsource the supplies to other countries to make ammo components, make it hard to get, make crazy laws and have certain companies/agencies buy everything up.

Just look at how these supplies that are shipped to help other states/countries in disasters, a lot of the supplies end up being found in some warehouse that nobody knew what was in it afterwards. Same thing with ammo, powder, bullets and primers. There a bunch of places to hide things and some are floating just off shore of the country and holds a bunch of containers. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Just sit back and let capitalism do its thing! The high quality brands are under a lot of strain due to unprecedented events the last couple of years. There's some with the connections to keep a supply and some willing to pay ridiculous secondary prices from GB to avoid finding an alternative.

The rest of us will move on to other available options and new loyalties to different brands will develop. I couldn't guess the market share companies like Hammer have gained during this round of component shortages. Put out a good product at a time when others cant keep up and you're well on your way to becoming a loading bench staple!
True! And you can also afford to take a well earned African safari hunting trip with your family too!

Some people blame the hoarders. Frankly, I have yet to find/meet one. One of the posters here shoots 3-5K rounds a year. Does that make him a hoarder because he can support his hobby? Nope, I do not think so. Be prepared!
I just ordered 1K of the 6.5mm 130 OTMs. I already had about 800 on hand. But, I shoot at least 50-60 a month and shoot them in 3 different rifles. Does that make me a hoarder?

I also TRY and buy enough bullets for a new rifle to last me about the life of the barrel. Does that make me a hoarder? (you might say yes if you saw my on-hand stock of components)

I feel your pain and frustration. I have been looking for a certain bullet since January for a hunt I have in October. I was on several back order lists. Imagine my excitement when Brownells had them in stock (for a few minutes). I was able to order 200. I canceled my other back orders. When my package arrived last week, I was shocked to find 4 boxes of the correct bullet but in the wrong caliber. Brownells offered to refund my money once I returned the product and an apology for sending the wrong product. They were quick to point out the product I had ordered was no longer in stock and I could be added to a list to notify me when they are in stock again. I will be using a different, but well performing, bullet on my hunt.

This latest supply squeeze had reinforced in me the old adage "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." There are many great bullet manufacturers, Berger does not have a corner on the market. I have adapted to use several different bullets, powders, primers and brass, instead of being married to only one company in each category. For example Lapua, ADG and Peterson all make outstanding brass. I just scored 8lbs of VV N565 ($299) to use instead of the H1000 I have been running. I also check multiple websites multiple times per day looking for components. They go quickly, often in minutes, so you have to be quick on the draw. Good luck to you.

I just ordered 1K of the 6.5mm 130 OTMs. I already had about 800 on hand. But, I shoot at least 50-60 a month and shoot them in 3 different rifles. Does that make me a hoarder?

I also TRY and buy enough bullets for a new rifle to last me about the life of the barrel. Does that make me a hoarder? (you might say yes if you saw my on-hand stock of components)
So...sounds like you've a 30 month supply, almost 3 years I'd say you're set:)