Dear Nosler and Berger,

Who has the time to shoot 3-5k rounds per year? Full auto mode? Shoot every day?
I'm probably getting pretty close to 3k a year, and once I get my two new rifles set up might jump up to hit 5k a year. I don't have a range at my house, but I drive past my range going to and from work every day. I'm also a member at multiple clubs within an hour where I can shoot everything from 100 yard to 1 mile steel. I don't have year-round hunting access anywhere nearly that close so I shoot more on the range than the field these days, and it's not hard to send 100 rounds a session, sometimes multiple times in a week. This is a big part of why I'm shooting smaller calibers and fewer big boomers. 223 AI, 243 AI, 22LR, looking into 204 cal and a true benchrest-setup 6BRA/30BR also. Going to squeeze all the benefits I can out of what I have access to.

I'm tore up over this whole hoarder thing.....I need a number!!....I might be a hoarder and not know it! 😱
😱
Hoarding is a mental health problem where you continually obtain and refuse to dispose of items that to them are useless and worthless. That describes both actual utility, the quantity, and the number of iterations, all in their own personal context.

A hoarder is someone who buys so many things that they're:
  1. unable to use all of them while
  2. also being unwilling to use any of them, and
  3. causing damage in other parts of their life through the buying/spending on more items they can't and won't use.
If you aren't doing that, you aren't a hoarder.

I've known a real guns and ammo hoarder. He would spend every last dime chasing ammo and crappy ARs, then would pack them away and refuse to shoot anything because he was so scared he could never get more. Never had enough. Starting paying money to store the crap he was wasting money on. He didn't enjoy any of it, he was so scared of things being banned he never actually USED any of what he was buying, living in a cycle of fear and was using a hoard as his comfort blanket. Finally stopped buying, but still has it all and still never shoots any of it.

Which is probably a good thing, I imagine he'll be super ****ed when he realizes that the cheap rifles, the cheap ammo, and being a guy who never shoots will combine to actually shoot very poorly. Not like the Jack Carr-esque mental image he maintains.

I'm probably getting pretty close to 3k a year, and once I get my two new rifles set up might jump up to hit 5k a year. I don't have a range at my house, but I drive past my range going to and from work every day. I'm also a member at multiple clubs within an hour where I can shoot everything from 100 yard to 1 mile steel. I don't have year-round hunting access anywhere nearly that close so I shoot more on the range than the field these days, and it's not hard to send 100 rounds a session, sometimes multiple times in a week. This is a big part of why I'm shooting smaller calibers and fewer big boomers. 223 AI, 243 AI, 22LR, looking into 204 cal and a true benchrest-setup 6BRA/30BR also. Going to squeeze all the benefits I can out of what I have access to.

Hoarding is a mental health problem where you continually obtain and refuse to dispose of items that to them are useless and worthless. That describes both actual utility, the quantity, and the number of iterations, all in their own personal context.

A hoarder is someone who buys so many things that they're:
  1. unable to use all of them while
  2. also being unwilling to use any of them, and
  3. causing damage in other parts of their life through the buying/spending on more items they can't and won't use.
If you aren't doing that, you aren't a hoarder.

I've known a real guns and ammo hoarder. He would spend every last dime chasing ammo and crappy ARs, then would pack them away and refuse to shoot anything because he was so scared he could never get more. Never had enough. Starting paying money to store the crap he was wasting money on. He didn't enjoy any of it, he was so scared of things being banned he never actually USED any of what he was buying, living in a cycle of fear and was using a hoard as his comfort blanket. Finally stopped buying, but still has it all and still never shoots any of it.

Which is probably a good thing, I imagine he'll be super ****ed when he realizes that the cheap rifles, the cheap ammo, and being a guy who never shoots will combine to actually shoot very poorly. Not like the Jack Carr-esque mental image he maintains.

Whew I'm safe. 😅

I've sent about 100 Berger 215's in the dirt the past couple days because I can. I think I'll travel to Co. this weekend and send a couple hundred more.😉

😂

In all seriousness, the lack of components has forced many of us to change how we buy, what we buy, frequency of purchase and developing loads from different components. This, in many ways, IS NOT A BAD THING! I have tried mono's in past 3 years and to my surprise like them better than cup and core. I have purchased several different manufacturers of mono's that I would never considered before and the results were far better than expected. I have started to use both Accurate and Ramshot powders and guess what? They have delivered exceptional accurate loads and the powder is more readily available (or it was until this statement ;-)). Sometimes getting a bit uncomfortable in our methods is a good thing to experience. Change is not a bad thing for us to endure. Forces us to branch out and experiment which can result in a Ah Hah moment.

So maybe a thank you is in order to Berger and Nosler?

In all seriousness, the lack of components has forced many of us to change how we buy, what we buy, frequency of purchase and developing loads from different components. This, in many ways, IS NOT A BAD THING! I have tried mono's in past 3 years and to my surprise like them better than cup and core. I have purchased several different manufacturers of mono's that I would never considered before and the results were far better than expected. I have started to use both Accurate and Ramshot powders and guess what? They have delivered exceptional accurate loads and the powder is more readily available (or it was until this statement ;-)). Sometimes getting a bit uncomfortable in our methods is a good thing to experience. Change is not a bad thing for us to endure. Forces us to branch out and experiment which can result in a Ah Hah moment.

So maybe a thank you is in order to Berger and Nosler?
Ramshot powders are horrible. Poor accuracy and very slow loads that develop pressures very fast.
Nick Offerman Smile GIF

Agreed! As you eloquently noted, many people do not seem to understand why they are not on the shelves. Bullet makers that have them readily are not in the same manufacturing capacity and demand. A couple of weeks someone asked about the availability of the 215, and below is what I got from Berger,

View attachment 389077
I received the exact same reply for another part number.

I couldn't read the weights on the labels, but I haven't seen Berger 87 gr VLD Hunting bullets in a year.

Great white north could use a fully stocked north 40 or scheels....

Last time in town I saw 56$ pound of h50, some overpriced shotshell and pistol powder and all the 168 grain. 308 fmjs you could shake a stick at.

Reality is its hard to fully stock up for shortages that are as likely to last increments of decade as opposed to years or months. Was set on retumbo from my last big boat shipment, but varget and some middle speed powders were spotty b.c. had enough to hunt but it did curtail volume shooting.

Big issue is new projects. I've had 3 shelved rifle cartridge combos I'd like to try but won't until components come up. Pick the wrong one and it's liable to be years sitting on the capital of components missing a bullet/powder/primer.