Data needed for 225gr in .308Win

pushcoguy

Hey guys. I wonder if anyone has real data for loading Hornady's 225 BTHP in a .308 Win. I've checked my books, and I have a plan (where to start), but it would be nice if I could see some real load data for these. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20181201_161132804.jpg

I'd say to use 220 rn data as these pills don't really build pressure more than 220 rn's from what I've done with them. They will need a 10" twist or faster though, so I'd check your twist as some 308's are 12"...

Gotcha. Yeah, that is what I had in mind.

My barrel is a 1/10" twist.

I load the 225 ELDM in my .308.
I use it for shooting FTR. 1-9 twist bartlein 5-R barrel is 30 inches long.
Varget was all I tried. I have them going 2530 FPS.
I would have all the measurements if you need them

3.148 is the oal, bullets are seated .030 off the lands
Lapua large primer brass, with a F-210 match primer and 43.5 gr of varget.
The throat was cut with a throater to be able to seat the bullets out this far.
I have shot almost 2000 rounds using this combo.

3.148 is the oal, bullets are seated .030 off the lands
Lapua large primer brass, with a F-210 match primer and 43.5 gr of varget.
The throat was cut with a throater to be able to seat the bullets out this far.
I have shot almost 2000 rounds using this combo.

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

You can contact Hornady as well, quite often they have data, but just don't put it in the book for various reasons.

You could extrapolate off the 220 ELDX data not quite apples to apples but close

You can contact Hornady as well, quite often they have data, but just don't put it in the book for various reasons.

You could extrapolate off the 220 ELDX data not quite apples to apples but close

I hadn't thought of contacting Hornady. I figured they probably had published data for these in a book newer than the one I have. In the absence of actual data though, I had planned to use 220 data and a little experience to establish my starting load(s).

Hornady/Speer/Sierra/Barnes/Other usually generate data for all bullets capable of being used in said caliber, but sometimes due to poor performance/unstable pressure spikes, lack luster velocity 100 +- compressed load or the belief that no one is going to use said bullet in said cartridge and sometimes just space/editing concerns.

I have a favorite load I use in a 1911 GM 45 acp, that with a 230 GD gets near 1000 fps at a starting load,the powder company no longer listed because it uses a slower burning pistol powder which nets you less shots per pound, can have a bit of flash and blast to it and you would be advised to increase recoil an mainspring weights, still less than 45 super, fire regular and MFS +P ball out of it though they don't eject all that far and 185 gr target wadcutters roll off your shooting hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.