155gr Amax 308Win Load data help

ncwg2boatguy

Been reloading a few years now and decided to give the 155 Amax a go in my
Savage 10 FP-SR w/24" 1-10 twist barrel.

Issues:
Not finding a lot of data for 155Amax in my manuals. Need to upgrade surely but if anyone could help with a good accurate starting point it would be great. Want to use it out to 600yds

Jim,

Start with 44.0gr of IMR-4064. That has worked great for a starting load in three of my .308's and a couple of my friends' rifles.

My Savage 10-PC loves it.

Ed

Ed,
I have 4500pcs of LC 2011 head stamp brass I'm using. Should I reduce to 42gr? Since case capacity is reduced on LC brass? I wasn't sure which brass you are running.

Jimbo

Ed,
I have 4500pcs of LC 2011 head stamp brass I'm using. Should I reduce to 42gr? Since case capacity is reduced on LC brass? I wasn't sure which brass you are running.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I have used that load in my LC73 brass, FC, Hornady, and Privi Partizan brass with no issues.

Hodgdon data shows 43.0gr 4064 to be a starting load and 47.5gr (compressed load) to be max.
I would feel very safe starting with 44.0 in any brass.

This morning, I dug into some old website data I had collected for 155gr Scenars and found that folks also liked 45.5gr - 46.5gr of Varget, which is also below max.

Ed

Excellent. Thanks Ed. Have a great day and let me know if you need any LC brass. 7.62 Mini guns shed lots of LC Brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.