load data help

jneufy

I am looking for load data for the 285 gr tac-x bullet .338. I am shooting a .338 lapua with surgeon action and 28" krieger tube bedded in a t4 manners stock. I am limited(due to location) to h1000 and retumbo powder. help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

H1000 start 72.9gns 2400fps, Max is 89.6gns at 2750fps

Retumbo start 81.7gns 2400fps, Max is 93.0 at 2750fps

Straight out of hornadays 8th manual. As always work up to Max loads and have fun.

Thanks submoa. I am curious though is that load data for a hornady 285 gr or the Barnes 285 or does it matter. I am sure if I start with starting on either one I should be safe.
Thanks again.

Hodgdon's data shows 94 grains of Retumbo as max with the 285 Hornady match bullets in the 338LM...

And when you pull apart a Hornady factory 285 grain match load, you find 94 grains of what looks, smells, walks and talks like Retumbo in there... very compressed...

those factory loads shoot great in most rifles, by the way.

But in Lapua cases, the max Retumbo charge would be closer to 93 grains... maybe finding a good node at 92.2 grains or very close to that.

Dan

Thanks submoa. I am curious though is that load data for a hornady 285 gr or the Barnes 285 or does it matter. I am sure if I start with starting on either one I should be safe.
Thanks again.

It don't matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts