DANG IT!!! 8-40 scope base holes on new Model 700! ??

LDHunter

I picked up a Model 700PSS in 308 for a STEAL and grabbed an aluminum Nightforce base I had and tried to put it on and much to my dismay I discovered that the holes in the top of the receiver were too big for the screws. I called Nightforce thinking they'd packaged the wrong screws with the base and they assured me they hadn't and that I needed scope base part number A146 rather than the A293 I had for that receiver based on the screws being too small.

It was research time and I found out that the military started demanding the bigger tougher screws for their sniper rifles and then, of course, all the tacticool guys had to have their rifles redrilled for the bigger screws and for anything short of a super magnum in a light rifle that's likely unnecessary.

BUT!!! My PSS short action receiver has the 8-40 holes probably because some police departments and possibly some of the military is still using them. So I'm stranded with a rifle that I don't have a scope base for so I'll order one but lesson learned. Check first.

Good luck on finding a list of what rifles need the bases with the 8-40 screws. I couldn't find one and guess there probably isn't one. So now I have to have one of each extra in stock... What next? LOL

Just get some 8-40 screws from Brownells. They have the same size head. The holes in bases are often loose enough that they will work as is. If not, put them in a mill and drill them out.
Yeah... The holes seemed a bit sloppy for the smaller screws and I'm thinking the 8-40 screws might just drop right in. I'll let you know. Nightforce is sending me some to try.

You could take advantage of the bigger holes a mount a rail on your 700 , Zero moa,10moa ,20 moa , it's still a win win !!! Cheers !

I picked up a Model 700PSS in 308 for a STEAL and grabbed an aluminum Nightforce base I had and tried to put it on and much to my dismay I discovered that the holes in the top of the receiver were too big for the screws. I called Nightforce thinking they'd packaged the wrong screws with the base and they assured me they hadn't and that I needed scope base part number A146 rather than the A293 I had for that receiver based on the screws being too small.

It was research time and I found out that the military started demanding the bigger tougher screws for their sniper rifles and then, of course, all the tacticool guys had to have their rifles redrilled for the bigger screws and for anything short of a super magnum in a light rifle that's likely unnecessary.

BUT!!! My PSS short action receiver has the 8-40 holes probably because some police departments and possibly some of the military is still using them. So I'm stranded with a rifle that I don't have a scope base for so I'll order one but lesson learned. Check first.

Good luck on finding a list of what rifles need the bases with the 8-40 screws. I couldn't find one and guess there probably isn't one. So now I have to have one of each extra in stock... What next? LOL

Doesn't the PSS stand for Police Sniper System

So then what does the P, PSP AND PSS stand for and what other differences are there other then 8-40 screw holes ? So I know what to look out for .

Ace Hardware has gun screws.
I would be very careful where we buy gun screws boys and girls. I just had to have my gunsmith remove yet another crappy screw that the hex head started stripping on. One brand I've had the most trouble with is EGW and they refuse to even answer my emails or calls regarding it.

I'm switching to ALL Nightforce bases now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.