Dad's first elk

Re: Dad\'s first elk

Too cool Shawn !

I reckon if my Dad was still around I would be trying to get him into longrange shooting as he was a good hunter and liked his rifles.

Mighty proud for your dad and you , thanks for the story and pix .

Jim B.

Glad to hear of a success. There's nothing like giving a little back to parents after all they've done for you. Makes a guy feel pretty good.

Shawn, great hunt for you and your dad,
Every hunt you spend together is most precious. (any time for that matter) I remembered seems like yesterday my Dad
was taking me and my 3 brothers hunting, he would take us out of school for a week every year from age 12 to 18
on a carpenters pay that was not the easiest thing to do, mom did not like it but he would say!what are they going to remember more? He was right. We all went together for many years till age started taking a toll.
The hunts I have been on with my Dad and brothers are priceless.it often will bring a tear as I know it will never be like it was as my dad has
givin it up, Thanks sharing the time you spent with your Dad with us.

Great story Shawn, I am really happy for you and your Dad. I wish I could get my dad to hunting. WOW!!!, the 300 Sierra Match King put a big hole in that Elk.

Wildcat

Thanks for sharing Shawn. Congratulations - sure enjoyed that story and know how proud you and your dad must be. Wish you both many more hunts together.

Way to go Dad....Great job Shawn. My dad is starting to get into the longrange hunting now with me. Although he has alot of experience, this is something new to him. He is like a 62 year old kid. That SMK did put a huge hole in that elk. Again, great job.

Great post and hunt Shawn. Like a few others here, if my pop was still around I am sure he would appreciate the read and the fine shooting.

Thanks for sharing...

Shawn,

Congratulations to both your dad and yourself.
That 300 gr SMK left an impressive exit wound in that bull.
Good job to the both of you and I hope you can share more father/son stories.

JD338

Great story with a great ending. Congrats to you and your dad. How much does it cost to get good friends to help pack out elk, up hill? They must be real good friends!

Great job!

They are good friends and they just jumped right in to help. Considering the pack was about 900-1000 yards and it took an hour and a half I thought it was quite a gesture. Packs like that can just about wipe one guy by himself out.

Shawn,
I'm glad for you that you did that for your dad, the day will come that it will have a greater value to either one. Please give your dad my respects and congratulations.
Great Shot!

Shawn

That was a great hunt and being about your Dad's age, the thing I miss the most while out here in Idaho is my family. It is great that you can take the time to have a good time with your Dad.

Maybe next time I come to town I will post up a funny picture I took. I am sure you will recognize the muzzle brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.