CVA Accura 2, live up to its hype?

scottyboy

The last muzzleloader I bought was a Knight probably 10+ years ago after I saw a guy walk out of a pond on TV and shoot, sigh... :D:rolleyes:

Anyways it's time to move up and move on. I've been looking a lot at the CVA accura v2 with the bergara barrel and the nitride finish.

Is the CVA everything they claim it to be? Are there other manufactures I should consider? I mainly hunt in Minnesota which means iron sights/fiber optic is mandatory. Drilled and tapped would be a plus for the off chance I hunt a primitive weapons area out west, but by no means required.

I want to stay under $700 with no optics (other than iron sights/fiber)

Personally I'd buy a new Knight myself. I'm not fond of CVA rifles.

I will admit though, I helped a friend who had just had hand surgery, and had just purchased the V2 and the BH209 breech plug. He hadn't yet had his cast removed, so I zeroed his rifle for him. It shot decent out to 150yds. I just don't care for the feel of the rifles.

Good luck with your choice.

I'd prefer to use my sidelock. Inlines got to boring to me. Just no real romance hunting with a modern muzzy. It was fun though while I enjoyed them, but that phase has passed.

I'd prefer to use my sidelock. Inlines got to boring to me. Just no real romance hunting with a modern muzzy. It was fun though while I enjoyed them, but that phase has passed.

I picked up a .36 Seneca that I'm having loads of fun with myself. Picked it up with a .50 Hawken, which I ended up selling. I'll be hanging on to the Seneca.

I'd suggest to the OP, with a higher power variable on the V2 that I helped setup, I think I could have gotten just a little more from it. However, I wouldn't purchase it for long range shooting.

thanks for the input, my shots here are not long range by any means. 100 yards is a poke most places i hunt, with the exception of our rifle zone where i can get "long range" 200 yard shots :rolleyes:

i do have some extra variable power scopes laying around i would likely throw on it, just to see what it can do, but again i can only use a scope during our gun season and not the actual muzzle loader season. ive read about the bergara barrels and how they are supposed to be some of the more accurate ones you can get, which is what intrigued me as my knight isnt exactly consistent in its groupings.

If you purchase one, here's my suggestion......... purchase the BH209 breech plug too. Try 100 to 110grs VOLUME of BH209 with a Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullet. You'll have one heck of a whitetail killing machine.

I can't speak for the accura 2 as I don't have one. I do however have an Optima and an Optima Pro. I believe the accura can out the next year after my rifle and was supposed to be an improved version of my gun. I use the pro quite often and it has proven to be pretty accurate. With two 50 grain pellets (100 grain charge) and a TC Shockwave bullet it will hold 5" groups at 250 yards. Which to me is pretty good for a stock muzzleloader.

It killed this buck this year on the last day of muzzleloader season. This buck was only 17 yards though so not exactly long range.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 160
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.