Cutting 1" Off a Barrel Blank

The cut on my barrel was 1/4" so there wasn't much cut off. The smith I use cut off 2" on muzzle. So 32" barrels were order out. I when as far as getting 2nd barrels for my 6mm/280AI chamber. Concern about burning up my barrel. That way I could get a second one done before changing out.

The cut on my barrel was 1/4" so there wasn't much cut off. The smith I use cut off 2" on muzzle. So 32" barrels were order out. I when as far as getting 2nd barrels for my 6mm/280AI chamber. Concern about burning up my barrel. That way I could get a second one done before changing out.
This will be a 7-08AI and would like 24" threaded. JGS is still 4 months out on that reamer. Got a 308 WIN "Match Tactical" to use here soon on my Heavy Palma for FTR.

Every barrel manuf is different; McGowen cuts them to length after lapping, so you get what you ordered- no cutoff required.
It's obviously true that the chamber reamer negates the need to cut off the breech end- but there's still considerations IMO depending on the chambering method you use.

If you indicated the throat area (or at least somewhere further into the chamber), then drill/bore before reaming everything behind that area is true to the indicated section. If you indicate the breech end (or set up in the steady), and run in the piloted reamer- you run the risk of selecting an oversize pilot if the very end of the barrel has been belled out from lapping. With this, be sure to select a pilot that's snug fitting further up the breech, and it may be loose at the very end. JMO

The guy doing this will be me 85%. Going to a 3 day class on how to chamber & cut.
I recommend cutting off a quarter inch off on the breach end and saving that piece. It's essentially a coin that has all of your barrel information on it …especially if it goes bad the barrel maker can look at the number. I do this and if I sell a barrel, I give the coin to the buyer.