Cutting 1" Off a Barrel Blank

I recommend cutting off a quarter inch off on the breach end and saving that piece. It's essentially a coin that has all of your barrel information on it …especially if it goes bad the barrel maker can look at the number. I do this and if I sell a barrel, I give the coin to the buyer.
Great idea!

You can cut a "Coin" off (1/8") of the breach end and save it. Do it by Bandsaw or cutoff tool. You should square up the breach end before chambering.
I have barrels from other gunsmiths/manufactures that only take a few thousands off the breach end jut to square up. You can still see some of the stamp.
Cutting an 1" off of the muzzle is to make sure that the Lands & Groves are pristine. When a barrel gets profiled the inside of the muzzle can be damaged while on a Live Center.
Whatever finished length you want always order 1" extra.
Some Barrel companies will cut and crown the muzzle before sending out.

Last edited:
I recommend cutting off a quarter inch off on the breach end and saving that piece. It's essentially a coin that has all of your barrel information on it …especially if it goes bad the barrel maker can look at the number. I do this and if I sell a barrel, I give the coin to the buyer.
That where I got mind in the last rifle I had built. I like that, and keep it with my items.
I would rather spend the money and get a longer barrel and have it cut back. I have two 6mm barrels presently. One being used and the other if I burn the barrel out. The other thing is, It does allow you to have the barrel cut down, a time or two.
The Smith seem to able to get a barrel faster than a private person getting one.

All this sounds good, but how much is the stock telling you to cut off the breech end? No reason to recut the entire barrel channel when taking another 1/4" off the breach fixes this. The amount of effort you want to put in the stock will tell you a lot about how much of the breech needs removed.

All this sounds good, but how much is the stock telling you to cut off the breech end? No reason to recut the entire barrel channel when taking another 1/4" off the breach fixes this. The amount of effort you want to put in the stock will tell you a lot about how much of the breech needs removed.
I like to lay barrel in stock to see how much to cut off breech end so that existing contour of barrel matches stock channel inlet, when possible.