Cutting down a .28 Nos barrel

ElCidAviator

I have a Fierce twisted rival in .28 Nos with a 24in barrel that shoots 175gr ABLRs really well (best group was .137 and regularly shoots under .25"). I got a can and started really enjoying shooting suppressed. The only thing I hate is walking around the woods with that long of a barrel (with the can attached).

What would be the problem cutting the barrel down to 20 inches? I know I'll loose about 100-150fps, but that would still put me right at 3000fps with a 175gr pill. Anything else I should worry about?

I think you can get mid 2900's.

I tested one last week, with a 22" bbl and 195's, and got to 2905, no pressure signs yet. However, this was not in a sammi chamber, so depending on what chamber you have, ymmv.

I'm pushing the 175s at 3125 right now. No pressure signs and below max charge of Retumbo.

Any other negatives besides the reduced velocity? I should see similar accuracy right?

sounds like you will be fine then. The precision should be good provided it is properly crowned, I have cut numerous barrels for this reason and never had an issue. The 28 nos rifle we did load development on last week was a CF barrel that I chambered, and our best load was .212 moa, it never repeated that, the next two groups were .312 and .389 moa, shot at 200 yds, that is the minimum distance I will load test. Those loads are plenty good for a hunting rifle.