cut rifled or buttoned , it'll be a 5 groove/Mike Rock or Broughton

James Jones

cut rifled or buttoned , it\'ll be a 5 groove/Mike Rock or Broughton

I'm in the process of getting all my goodies in order to have a new toy built , I'm trying to make a decession on the barrel though and thought I'd ask everyones oppinion

The barrel is going to be for a 308 , 22" long and of the 5C or 5R bore style , the question I have is which of the two will offer best velocity and easy cleaning. Has anybody had any dealing with either or both and care to comment

Re: cut rifled or buttoned , it\'ll be a 5 groove/Mike Rock or Broughton

JD
I have 2 of the Rock Creek barrels one in .243 and one in .264 both of them broke in very quickly (under 18 rounds) and both seem to get faster velocity than reloading manuals state for a given load (for what thats worth).

Cleaning on both is very easy, especially with coppermelt, but they only see 30-40 shots max between cleanings.
Chris

I just got done building my 308 with a rock 11 twist barrel.
so far my best group at 100yds is .188" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ive used other barrels in the past, but from now on all of them will be from mike rock. the 11 twist is perfect for 175gr match kings. and he usually has a few in stock. mine is the M24 contour with 5 flutes.
rock creek barrels
give him a call, tell him Glen in Idaho says hi

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the process of getting all my goodies in order to have a new toy built , I'm trying to make a decession on the barrel though and thought I'd ask everyones oppinion

The barrel is going to be for a 308 , 22" long and of the 5C or 5R bore style , the question I have is which of the two will offer best velocity and easy cleaning. Has anybody had any dealing with either or both and care to comment

[/ QUOTE ] I guess I don't understand how do you get a 5R barrel that's not an Obermyer or a Broughton. I thought that was proprietary only under licence from Obermyer. Sometimes it pays to play follow the leader. Who is winning with a Rock barrel @ 1000 yard bench rest?

I think Obermeyer has a patent on the name 5r only. I've got a Broughton 5c in 300wsm. Depending on bullets and powder I average 100 to 150fps over when I used the same loads in the factory barrel and the 5c broken in good.

I just bought 5 5c barrels from Broughton. I have never had one before but to many people I know are getting great results to ignore.

Well , I know that Mike Rock used to work for Boots Obermayer and bought the rights to the 5R name and from what I gather the 5R and 5C desgine are the exact same
What I was wondering was which of the two woulkd last longer and clean easier out of the cut rifled (Rock) or the pull buttoned(Broughton)
I see that Chris Matthews has started using Broughton over the Rock barrels just wondering if their was any particular reasoning folks were going to Broughton over the Rock barrels
Quality , price , easier to deal with the company?

I don' know that cut would make a difference over Button as far as cleaning goes, I believe they would both, being lapped clean about the same. I suppose there may have been a difference in the past. I don't think that holds true today with the top makers. Years ago I would not shoot a cut rifled barrel because it seemed to take about 500 rds before they would settle down and shoot. At least in HS Precision's barrels that I tried. I have not had that experience with the Krieger barrels that are cut. The one thing I can say for sure is I don't notice any difference in how a barrel cleans as long as it is accurate, then only if I can get it clean in time for the next relay in a match and get my ammo loaded. Unless you are shooting competition, what does it matter?

I just got back from the range and the chosen load was 2730 FPS. Varget 44gr, 175 smk, lapua brass and fed 210 primers, 24" rock barrel (start lower). for some reason I cant shoot the 5th in the hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but the first 4 are very consistent at .2" the smallest being .083 I scrubbed the bore with a brush (10 stokes) and used three patches before it was clean. My hart barrel takes twice as long. You probably won't see any difference between the two barrels you are looking at. I would just pick one and try it out. If you need one fast mike has a few in stock.

I am using Broughtons because they are accurate, clean easy, give the extra velocity and are winning a lot of matches- Rocks do the same but aren't shot in 1000 yd BR matches as much.
Why the change? Cause Rocks are getting **** near impossible to get.
Either one and you can't go wrong just depends on how long you want to wait and how much BS you want to put up with.

LOL i can attest to the BS. I got so mad at Mike that i finally had Chris order me a boughton barrel. Low and behold the project is almost done and i am much happier.

I have a 28" Broughton 5C on a 30-06. I am using 56grs of H4350, Lapua cases, Fed match primers and 175 grain SMK's. This load is 3 grains below Hodgdons max w/ this bullet. I am getting the same velocity as their max charge is suppose to get. 2,921 fps is the average. My best @ 100 is .179" and @ 200 is .302" for 3 shots on both. The barel cleans easily no doubt! After my smith built the rifle, he said the Broughton was the best looking barrel he had ever seen!

Here in the UK cut rifled 5R barrels are available from Border barrels of Scotland, the proprieter Dr Geoff Kolbe was a student of Boots Obermayer.
Border barrels are of extremely high quality rifled on precision Pratt & Whitney machines and hand lapped to very tight tolerences. They are available in the USA from O.K. Webber.

Ian.

but they take ages to get. sorry JR couldn't resist that one.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.