Custom rifle cost going to the moon , when does it end ?

Oh my God you nailed it man!
I just listened to a Gunwerks podcast with that D bag Brozovich guy from Long Range Only.
They were pumping out the bs about how the $7000 Gunwerks "Turnkey" rifles were actually cheaper than a "gather the parts custom build" once you factored in time and load development.
P lease!
The last time I heard that kind of blatent bias I was watching CNN
Well said...

I think those prices are insane but that's completely subjective. Especially as the quality of factory guns is going up. $500 Savages group extremely well now as a matter of course. Remington is offering a $1300 street price build with a blueprinted action with 5r rifling and cerakote.
Bergara just started building rifles in 2016 with prices from $700 to around $1900 that shoot .5" all day. And frankly I don't understand the perceived need for .5" rifles for even mule deer. The kill zone is about 18" and you surely don't need sub moa for that.

What I think is a fad is the relatively new practice of shooting game at 500+ yards. I heard some yahoo bragging about his umpteen hundred yard kill. I told him I wouldn't be going on about being that poor of a hunter that I couldn't get within a half mile of it. From his expression I got down voted on that. 😎. Now long range SHOOTING is understandable and fun but not game animals.

Now if you're talking rifles as an addiction I can certainly understand how special builds get your blood pumping. All I'm saying is I don't think as a practical need stratosphere guns are required even to get accuracy you don't need. Your mileage may vary.
Your literally on a website called long range hunting and you choose to be negative about the practice of shooting game at long distance? Maybe this isn't the site for you. Many of us spent a lot of time and money learning how to consistently take game at long distance. If you want to keep your shots under 2-300 yards good for you that's your choice. But when I save up for years and go half way around the world on a hunt that's once a lifetime I want to be able to hit game at whatever distance I deem necessary. Not trying to be a jerk just letting you know how a lot of us feel.

Beanlandrifles.com

Reasonably priced Fantastic results Answers the telephone Doesn't talk down to you

1400.00 actions, 800.00 stocks, the need to Cerakote every action and barrel, Fancy fluting and brakes on every rifle, 200.00 scope rings, 2000.00 scopes with fancy illuminated reticles, 250.00 bottom metal, and 250.00 triggers. In most cases it is not the gunsmith driving up the cost of rifles. It is the evolving standards of their clients.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how anybody could speak badly about Jeff? He's probably the nicest guy I've ever talked to in the LRH community.
The name calling wasn't cool, I shouldn't have called him a D bag I'll own that.

My interaction with him has not been good though.. I addressed that in another post on this thread

I always find that old saw funny. "more money than sense" All the customers that I know are really successful and intelligent people. I've learned a lot from the association. I aspire to their levels of intelligence and success. The hard working self made successful person that buys a Gunwerks rifle, whether he's a landscaper or a land developer isn't a stupid person. I don't mind when people beat up our brand, because I understand it mostly comes from a lack of visibility or complete knowledge. But I will stick up for our customers. They are smart cats! They are successful for a reason.

I think I'm seeing jealousy in lots of these posts.

Buy a reputable rifle and put twice the glass you can afford on it and you will probably find that the rifle will hold better than you.

I don't buy the idea one needs to "put twice the glass you can afford on it" to have a good shooter. When I purchased a Savage heavy varmint .223 rifle for $200 and a $400 Burris 8-32X It didn't group well. I replaced the Burris with a $100 Tasco 6-24X and the worst five shot group it ever fired was .494".

Now I buy a scope for better glass and better low light ability, which cost more than a Tasco, but not for more relaibility.

Your literally on a website called long range hunting and you choose to be negative about the practice of shooting game at long distance? Maybe this isn't the site for you. Many of us spent a lot of time and money learning how to consistently take game at long distance. If you want to keep your shots under 2-300 yards good for you that's your choice. But when I save up for years and go half way around the world on a hunt that's once a lifetime I want to be able to hit game at whatever distance I deem necessary. Not trying to be a jerk just letting you know how a lot of us feel.

LMAO agree.
what exactly are you doing on a long range community forum if you don't believe in long range hunting?

Also, comparing a Remington or Savage to a custom rifle/action is like comparing a Toyota to a Ferrari. Sure they both drive down the road but don't for a second think they do it in the same way 😆

I just saw a new release of a highbred big game rifle from probably THE big boys in the industry . The cost including a 2500.00$ optic is 12500.00$ . I have done my fair share of buying things that I knew were a bit out of the ( practical or common sense range ) because I just wanted it but not to the tune of 12500.00 lol !! To be clear I'm sure it comes with 100 rounds of custom ( tuned ) Ammo for it and we all know the work that goes into that although the load development is the steepest on the first ( set up ) then after that it's probably a little more cookie cutter . I'll be the first to admit these are some of the baddest rifles to ever hit the planet and the detail and designs are AMAZING for sure! I feel a custom build with a premium barrel , stock , trigger , action and optic around 5-6 k is ( fair ) but I also have some factory rifles with a proper tuned load that shot at .250 or better . One in particular I have is a .093 5 shot group at 100 yard and it holds that moa pretty close to 800 so far , I knew they shot well but I'm still on cloud 9 with that one and I promise, that's not the norm for me on factory guns !!
I know these factory rifles most likely will walk significantly more threw a 20 shot string then these premium guns will of course but for most hunting rifles that's not necessarily going to be needed . I have set up several rifles for friends that just want a hunting gun with factory Ammo . I set one rem 700 up with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 and found THE factory Ammo that it liked ! On most of these projects I'm able to find Ammo that will shoot .500 or better all for 1800.00$ and it just about holds that all the way to 800. I'm not poking at custom builders ,it is a true art , I'm just asking what your feelings are towards these 10-12000.00$ guns and where the future is headed ( and I'm not talking about 50 bmg or 375 cheytac type guns) With all the modern machining practices, factory rifles have came a long way for sure ! I think we are going to see a swing in the market for gun builders to produce a gun that is a (budget) version . I think these are selling now because of the craze we are in now kinda like in 2008 when desil pickups were grocery getters during that craze that blew up , then desil hit 5.00$ gallon in Comifornia and they were dumped quick ! Is it just me or are these prices crazy ..... but soooo bad a** of a rifle !!
I wouldn't buy one if I could afford it. But the countless hours that master craftsmen spend on metaculous details in the wood and metal is true art work! Just a walnut blank of fine quality will set you back as much as a lot of semi custom rifles. Wish I had the patience they have! The Mona Lisa isn't for everyone but we can't judge the man that wants impeccable fit and finish.

Tikka builds are a great value. There is not a smoother running bolt on the market today.
Is the smooth bolt the Tikka craze? I see a lot of Tikka builds and was wondering what the deal was, I've never seen one. What do you thing about the milled receiver scope grooves? As good as Weaver or dovetails?

Is the smooth bolt the Tikka craze? I see a lot of Tikka builds and was wondering what the deal was, I've never seen one. What do you thing about the milled receiver scope grooves? As good as Weaver or dovetails?
Cheap, smooth bolt, feeds really well, very straight from the factory, great trigger from the factory(that some I've seen say are extremely reliable in ice/dust)

They are a nice made action. Yes the bolt runs super but there is alot to like. The intregal rail is fine. Maybe not as good as a picitany but does fine. They are usually very straight. Trigger isn't bad. Just a nice solid action. Just the right size for short mags or prc.
Shep

I am a fan of custom rifles. They can be done expensively or reasonably. They will never be as inexpensive as a Tikka. A Tikka is an awesome value. My son has a Tikka youth compact. It is a new stock away from becoming my woods rifle if he loses interest in hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.