Custom Action vs Blueprinted Rem. 700 Action

gozags!

I am going to be building a custom 338 Edge for long range hunting and I am debating what action I should base my build on. Specifically, a custom BAT action vs. a blueprinted Rem. 700 action. Is there an accuracy advantage using the BAT action vs a properly blueprinted Rem 700 action? Is the additional stoutness of the BAT action a benefit for this magnum caliber? Could the tight tolerances in the BAT action be an issue in a hunting rifle? I realize the rifle will be worth more for resale with the BAT action, but I would like to know any advantages beyond that. Thank you for any suggestions.

Since you're a Zags fan is it safe to assume you are in the greater Spokane area?

I only ask because the Godfather of the 338Edge (Shawn Carlock www.defensiveedge.net) is in Rathdrum Id. which is just across the fence from Spokane.

BAT, IMO, builds the finest action money can buy. I don't see how you could ever go wrong with a custom build using a BAT receiver.

But, will a properly built 338 Edge using a blueprinted Rem M700 receiver shoot noticeably better than the exact same built rifle but with a BAT receiver, I'm going to bet it would barely be noticeable.

I look at full blown customs versus semi customs like this. If you already have a donor rifle like a Rem. Sendero and all you want to do is have the action blueprinted and rebarrelled to 338 Edge your donor Rem 700 was/is a good choice. On the other hand, if ALL you're going to use is the Rem 700 action and you are going to replace EVERYTHING else, at that point you may as well opt for the custom receiver too.

I've got both semi customs and full customs and I even have a semi custom that I had everything, except the Rem M700 action, replaced on. The semi custom that had everything replaced on cost me nearly, within a couple hundred dollars, of what my full custom 338Lap Imp, which is built on a BAT HRPIC, cost. That probably wasn't the smartest money I ever spent.

Built as a semi custom w/Rem 700 or full blown custom using a BAT, either done properly will shoot extremely well. I think the question you need to ask yourself is which way do YOU want it built and go from there.

Also, if you already have a donor the wait time for your build to be completed will likely be less.

I am going to be building a custom 338 Edge for long range hunting and I am debating what action I should base my build on. Specifically, a custom BAT action vs. a blueprinted Rem. 700 action. Is there an accuracy advantage using the BAT action vs a properly blueprinted Rem 700 action? Is the additional stoutness of the BAT action a benefit for this magnum caliber? Could the tight tolerances in the BAT action be an issue in a hunting rifle? I realize the rifle will be worth more for resale with the BAT action, but I would like to know any advantages beyond that. Thank you for any suggestions.

You can "build" the Rem action to achieve at least the same accuracy, etc...etc...as the Bat does. BUT...the Bat is already there!...if you get my drift?

There are various levels of "trueing up" an M700...and that depends on just how accurate you can shoot and how accurate you really want the rifle to be.

Whereas the tightness is wanted in a target gun...it might well be a hindrance in a way with a hunting rifle. When your dealing with +/- .001 ( or less) tolerance...it dont take much to "gum up the works".

If your going to build a HUNTING rifle that you want dammed accurate....go the "accurized" M700 as far as the action goes.

Built as a semi custom w/Rem 700 or full blown custom using a BAT, either done properly will shoot extremely well. I think the question you need to ask yourself is which way do YOU want it built and go from there.

without a doubt

Thanks for your posts. I would like to go with the BAT action, but my biggest concern is the tight tolerances and the potential for issue in a hunting environment.

Seven years ago, I decided to build a competition rifle on a 700 short action. It has been trued, Jewel trigger, FP bushed, etc, etc. Krieger barrel in 6 Dasher, HS stock. Altogether, I have well over $2,500 in it. At a match recently, I asked a gun dealer how much it is worth as is, without scope. He responded "about $500". I just about croaked.

I would never do this again. Buy a Bat or any other quality action and cry once.

Seven years ago, I decided to build a competition rifle on a 700 short action. It has been trued, Jewel trigger, FP bushed, etc, etc. Krieger barrel in 6 Dasher, HS stock. Altogether, I have well over $2,500 in it. At a match recently, I asked a gun dealer how much it is worth as is, without scope. He responded "about $500". I just about croaked.

I would never do this again. Buy a Bat or any other quality action and cry once.

I'm not too sure that I would establish such a firm position based on the opinion of a gun dealer. I sold just a 6 year old HS take stock for $300. It was sold in less than one day. A knowable buyer would assess the value of your rifle based on the difference in cost between the two actions, the quality of the build, the useful life of the barrel, and the way it shoots. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.