Custom action for back country elk hunting

jbail1

I posted this in the Elk forum initially, but should have put it here. Apologies for the duplicate. Figure it'll get more views in the general discussion...

Kicking around the idea of a custom 7mm SAUM for a back country elk hunt in WY in 2017. I typically bow hunt, but have had the bug to do a custom hunting rifle build for a while, and this is a good opportunity.

So, simple question, what action would you prefer/recommend for this type of hunt? I love my surgeon but have always been impressed with Defiant and the more I read on Bighorn, the more I like. I don't own either of the latter... More of a poll here than anything.

Thanks

I hunted elk this year in WY with my Remington Model Seven 7 SAUM. If I were building one, it would be with a M700 short action.

Defiance produces a Medium and XM length action which will allow more options for longer magazines allowing the option to seat the long hot rod bullets appropriately. I'm not certain on the measurements of these two action sizes and which one might work "best" for the 7 SAUM cartridge length.

Deviant Hunter | Defiance Machine

I have a LA Deviant Hunter as the base for my 300 Win Mag and love it.

Best of luck with the build.

G

I honestly don't know what distance the shots will range yet, but I'll guess 50-500 yards. Whether or not I actually take a shot at a bull at that distance I suppose I'll let the hunt dictate. But I do intend to be capable of the shot. All that aside, really just curious to hear from this who actually own these actions and see if they have any positives or negatives to offer for each. Thanks to all those who have responded thus far. Keep em coming please.

I have personally owned Stillers, Pierces, and Kelblys. I have cycled Bordens, Surgeons, and GAPs. The Pierce actions are my favorite. I think my nitrided Pierce is the smoothest hunting action I have cycled. The Diamond back and Panda I had were smoother but are not hunting actions. My Pierce titanium is very light and my chrome moly Pierce is not far behind due to the lightening Pierce did. If I wanted a dedicate lightweight rifle I would start with a Pierce Titanium. I will also say if 500 or maybe even 600 yards was going to be my max there is no way I would pony up for a custom rig. I would just get a Tikka lightweight and find the load it prefers.

I have personally owned Stillers, Pierces, and Kelblys. I have cycled Bordens, Surgeons, and GAPs. The Pierce actions are my favorite. I think my nitrided Pierce is the smoothest hunting action I have cycled. The Diamond back and Panda I had were smoother but are not hunting actions. My Pierce titanium is very light and my chrome moly Pierce is not far behind due to the lightening Pierce did. If I wanted a dedicate lightweight rifle I would start with a Pierce Titanium. I will also say if 500 or maybe even 600 yards was going to be my max there is no way I would pony up for a custom rig. I would just get a Tikka lightweight and find the load it prefers.

I totally agree, however, unlike you the OP "might" be working on his first ever full custom rifle ... and I know exactly how that feels. Just got my first ever full custom this year (only had semi-customs built from factory action donors ... not that there's anything wrong with them). :):Dgun)

BTW, that's quite the collection of custom actions. My only experience thus is with Big Horn Arms LA SR2 and I am very pleased with it.

Good luck to the OP. Cheers!

Ed

I agree with rfurman24
Get you a nice off the shelf Remington or savage. If it's a Remington place a jewel trigger, bed the action and shoot with a nice optic and you'll be happy... Unless you just want to say you have a custom gun ... If it's a savage, well just mount a scope and be done ;)

I just purchased one of the mil-spec Remington, swapped the trigger over myself (not that hard... Just take reference photos for the bolt release spring)
Hardest part for me was bedding the action (never done before )
And scan the www for a nice optics package

Counting everything I've done with mine I'm in the game just shy of the $2k mark..

A couple of custom guns I kicked the tires on we're going for $4k plus without a scope... Take the extra money you've saved and apply in different states to increase your odds of a tag or apply in some other way to your hunt

Folk I appreciate the replies but let's avoid the "just buy a tikka or Rem or whatever" comments. I'm asking about custom or semi custom actions bc that's what I want. Got plenty of the others and I'm well aware of their capabilities.

Just saw that FEENIX. Fine looking rifle. I've been interested in the Bighorn since I started reading about the TL3. Bout narrowed it down to the Deviant Hunter or the TL3. Unfortunately in my small corner of southwest Louisiana, hold-in-your hand examples are few and far between.

Last edited:
I have a Bighorn on my 7LRM and am nothing but pleased with it. The folks at Bighorn were a pleasure to deal with and the action arrived earlier than their estimated time of delivery. Can't say enough good about them but I'm sure most would say the same of other custom actions they own.

Just saw that FEENIX. Fine looking rifle. I've been interested in the Bighorn since I started reading about the TL3. Bout narrowed it down to the Deviant Hunter or the TL3. Unfortunately in my small corner of southwest Louisiana, hold-in-your hand examples are few and far between.

Fingering any custom action for that matter is far and few between. All my years in Ohio I've never seen a custom action let alone got my hands on any specific custom actions. You have it down to 2, can't go wrong w/ either.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.