Custom action for back country elk hunting

Just saw that FEENIX. Fine looking rifle. I've been interested in the Bighorn since I started reading about the TL3. Bout narrowed it down to the Deviant Hunter or the TL3. Unfortunately in my small corner of southwest Louisiana, hold-in-your hand examples are few and far between.

I think you'll be happy with either one. I actually considered the DH too and hope to build an all Montana made product (or at least most of it) rifle until I saw a BHA priced to sell by one of the LRH members here ... I couldn't resist and went with it.

Good luck!

I have a couple Defiance,live a snowballs throw away from them.Have some ex guide friends that work there, been very happy.

Personally I'm pretty well stuck on CFR actions for carry guns in particular. I live and hunt where surprises are sorta normal, weather is always changing, and can never be out of silt permeated air when it's windy. So I'm partial to M70s and clones, Mausers and clones, and right now there's a real humdinger out there: the MausingField by the American Rifle Company. I'd sure want to check that out if I were you.
Mausingfield Bolt Action

You will be happy with any custom action made today, not very many average people can tell any practical difference between them. Don't wait months for any of them, buy one that's in stock, get it built then go hunting.

Wish I had known about the mausingfield before now !!
Sounds like it was pretty well thought out

I have Defiance, Borden and Stiller builds. Defiance is the most customizable, and has many options, including CRF. That's my pick, a light weight Defiance. But they are all good.

Personally I'm pretty well stuck on CFR actions for carry guns in particular. I live and hunt where surprises are sorta normal, weather is always changing, and can never be out of silt permeated air when it's windy. So I'm partial to M70s and clones, Mausers and clones, and right now there's a real humdinger out there: the MausingField by the American Rifle Company. I'd sure want to check that out if I were you.
Mausingfield Bolt Action

^^^^^This.

I don't know about y'all, but this is interesting. What, specifically, are the reasons a Win 70 and Mauser are better in the adverse conditions of the big AK?

Sorry fellas; mixed my letters. Should have been CRF (for controlled round feed), not as I originally wrote. While I'm at it I'll address another question.

Mausers, M70s, the MausingField, and there are others, seize the round in its delivery from the magazine hence the controlled round feed nomenclature. The Mauser and the M70 (Pre-64 and Classic) also have a cone breech that adds reliability when chambering a round under stress or adverse conditions. Mechanical ejection is also a positive feature of these actions--that's what that big claw does in addition to the CRF action. There's another feature on the M70 I know works from experience and that's the way a firing mishap directs the gases and everything else down through the magazine (on the bullet end). I've stretched reloading cases a bit too far on a couple occasions. The primers blew out and the expanding gas vented as designed. Probably all actions have something similar--can't imagine they not--but I've actually experienced their behavior.

Probably most important for me though is that I've had to rely on two M70s (a Pre-War and Stainless Classic) on three instances. Had they failed I wouldn't be writing this. No doubt there's other actions that have "saved the day" but the confidence of African, Asian, and Alaskan guides, outfitters, and just plain residents for nearly a hundred years (more with the Mauser) led me to own and use them since 1965. I've refrained from claiming they're better than any other. Only that they're my preference and my reasons for that.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's highly likely I'll eventually have a rifle with each of these actions, but after talking with Aaron at Bighorn, I've pretty well decided to wait for their SR3 hunting action which should be officially released at SHOT. Wish I could make it to the show to see it first hand, but its just not in the cards this year. But, hopefully I'll have it in hand with time to build the gun and workup a load. Time to start collecting components...

The SR3 will make you all kinds of happy, I've used a lot of Defiance actions and while there isn't anything really wrong with them there's nothing that really stands out with them also except heavy feel to how they run. I really don't like the Mausingfield, what a mess! I do struggle with CRF or push feed actions though, I've seen more issues with the CRF actions when hunting but I still want them though I trust the push feed more. I really like the Montana action for an honest control feed action for cheap, build some real shooters with them and they are priced right for what they are vs a lot of other custom actions but it's definitely not the Bighorn!

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's highly likely I'll eventually have a rifle with each of these actions, but after talking with Aaron at Bighorn, I've pretty well decided to wait for their SR3 hunting action which should be officially released at SHOT. Wish I could make it to the show to see it first hand, but its just not in the cards this year. But, hopefully I'll have it in hand with time to build the gun and workup a load. Time to start collecting components...

ATTABOY!

I really my BHA and like Rhian said, you too would be very pleased.
The SR3 will make you all kinds of happy, I've used a lot of Defiance actions and while there isn't anything really wrong with them there's nothing that really stands out with them also except heavy feel to how they run. I really don't like the Mausingfield, what a mess! I do struggle with CRF or push feed actions though, I've seen more issues with the CRF actions when hunting but I still want them though I trust the push feed more. I really like the Montana action for an honest control feed action for cheap, build some real shooters with them and they are priced right for what they are vs a lot of other custom actions but it's definitely not the Bighorn!

lightbulbDitto!lightbulb

I have 2 Defiance actions both are the deviant hunter models . My first build was a 338 lapua I really liked it so I had a 6.5 creedmore built that action was available with a 3 position safety so I ordered the action with that safety. I wish I had the 3 position safety on the 338 the action it is so smooth that it does not take much to lift the bolt handle and for a hunting gun I really like the security of knowing my bolt is fully closed until I am ready to shoot.
I had a bad experience with a previous rifle of mine on a 160" whitetail the bolt handle was up just enough to let me pull the trigger and not quite enough for the firing pin to strike the primer. Short story is my brother ended up killing it "we were doing a drive" Needless to say I have never heard the end of that story!
I do not have any experience with any other custom actions but figured I would share the only issue I have found with what I own and use.

Sorry fellas; mixed my letters. Should have been CRF (for controlled round feed), not as I originally wrote. While I'm at it I'll address another question.

Mausers, M70s, the MausingField, and there are others, seize the round in its delivery from the magazine hence the controlled round feed nomenclature. The Mauser and the M70 (Pre-64 and Classic) also have a cone breech that adds reliability when chambering a round under stress or adverse conditions. Mechanical ejection is also a positive feature of these actions--that's what that big claw does in addition to the CRF action. There's another feature on the M70 I know works from experience and that's the way a firing mishap directs the gases and everything else down through the magazine (on the bullet end). I've stretched reloading cases a bit too far on a couple occasions. The primers blew out and the expanding gas vented as designed. Probably all actions have something similar--can't imagine they not--but I've actually experienced their behavior.

Probably most important for me though is that I've had to rely on two M70s (a Pre-War and Stainless Classic) on three instances. Had they failed I wouldn't be writing this. No doubt there's other actions that have "saved the day" but the confidence of African, Asian, and Alaskan guides, outfitters, and just plain residents for nearly a hundred years (more with the Mauser) led me to own and use them since 1965. I've refrained from claiming they're better than any other. Only that they're my preference and my reasons for that.

Cool!!! Another CRF fan on the long range forum.

First, my solution to what jbail1 is looking for is this. A trued up M-70 Classic Stainless in 300 WSM, with a 24" factory contour Benchmark 1x11 twist three groove barrel, a McMillan Hunter's Edge stock, and a Leupold VX-III in 3.5x10x40 with a B&C reticle in Talley lightweight mounts. The whole rig weighs about 7.5 lbs. It shoots 168 Barnes TTSXs at 3000 fps into about a 1/2" average from a cold barrel, 3-shot groups.

I use this for deer. Longest shot has been 435 yds. For elk I might use the 180 TTSX. Maybe not. While I have a 340 Wby (also on a stainless CRF M-70) for elk that weigh about 8 3/8 lbs, if I had to hike a long ways I'd take the lighter rifle.

Why do I like CRF actions, specifically stainless M-70 CRF actions, so well?

They are smooth, durable, reliable, accurate, and reasonably light weight. Once I get them set up, I just don't have issues with them. As mentioned, they are smooth and reliable because of the claw extractor and coned breech. The M-70 three position safety is the best there is and it doesn't easily allow a finger in the trigger guard while the safety is being released. The M-70 SS action isn't prone to galling, and allows as accurate a hunting rifle as I have ever seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts