Custom Action Choice

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Goldy300, Sep 1, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Goldy300

Goldy300 Active Member

I am not sure if this is the right place to post or not. But I am trying to decide on a custom action. This rifle build will be either a 25 or 6.5 Creed. I want to build fairly light, most likely 24” Bartlein #3 fluted. My hold up is the action. I want something that is cut for a Wyatt’s box as I do hand load long bullets. Also I would like something with a small firing pin because I will be using Lapua SRP brass. Does anyone have any action recommendations?

Jack Isham likes this.
  2. cjl2010

cjl2010 Well-Known Member

Budget?

FEENIX likes this.
  3. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Lone Peak Razor or Fuzion TI.
    Light, smooth, excellent tooling.

howco likes this.
  4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

^^^ This! ^^^

5. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

For a 25 or 6.5 Creedmoor, if I had the choice of any action made, I would choose a Surgeon.

6. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Finding what you want in stock is the trick! I have 4..Lone Peak Razor..Curtis..Surgeon
    and a Rebel and they all work? I can't say I like one the best.
    A Bat next?

7. bearcat2

bearcat2 Well-Known Member

I don't know what your budget is. Dakota actions have a very good rep and I know a couple guys with them that love them. I personally wanted a Sako action on my custom, but they no longer sell just actions and I wasn't willing to pay the price of a new Sako just to pull the action. Being left handed, and set on stainless and an action long enough for the 7mm STW I settled for buying a used Browning with only 9 rounds through it for about 2/3 the price of a new one. I had it worked over by a good local gunsmith (the only one I've ever used I would recommend for anything more complicated than I can do myself) and have been very happy with it. I know Browning actions aren't common for custom builds, but it is smooth as silk and will shoot well under 1/2 MOA out at 800 (3 inch groups). Obviously the barrel and other components affect accuracy also. But for my budget I had it built on the factory stock with a Hart barrel for well under $2000. It would shoot great off of sandbags like that, but the factory stock was too flexy and when I put a bipod on it if I leaned into the rifle it would bow the stock up and touch the barrel. I missed a nice whitetail 3 times at 450 because of this, so bad it didn't even scare the rutted up buck and I was able to move and figure out what the problem was and drop him! After that I put a Macmillan on it and have been very happy.

You can spend a lot of money on a custom action or you can find a factory action you like and will fit your requirements and then pay a quality gunsmith to work it over. If you're on a budget price them both before you decide.

I don't know a lot about Wyatt boxes, but a quality gunsmith should be able to tell you if they will work with any action you choose.

Buck3 likes this.
  8. Goldy300

Goldy300 Active Member

I was hoping somewhere around the 1k mark or less. I know there is getting to be several “budget” actions out there. Origin, tenacity, APR, etc.

9. TwoMore

TwoMore Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

10. dkhnt

dkhnt Well-Known Member

Terminus action

Doublezranch likes this.
  11. cjl2010

cjl2010 Well-Known Member

For a $1000 I think it’s really hard to beat the kelbly atlas tactical action. If you are going to run standard BDL bottom metal order it from kelblys with feed lips.

Clucknmoan and lancetkenyon like this.
  12. Sniper97

Sniper97 Well-Known Member

Gunwerks GRB!

13. Vol1975

Vol1975 Well-Known Member

Lots of great actions but the defiance action whom make a lot of other actions for companies and the custom service I’ve had with them is worth the little bit of extra money.

But a lot of great actions out there.

Jeremy Henderson and 30BR like this.
  14. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

This. I have shot several rifles built on Kelbly Atlas Tac actions. I liked them so much, my new 25SST is being built on one. $900-950 new, with pinned recoil lug and 20MOA rail, fully Melonited.

Laredo, FEENIX and Clifflopez like this.